01/03/14 05:55 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The colourful and noisy mayhem that is carnival season in Brazil got underway this weekend, as dancing filled the Sambodrome.
With the World Cup just over three months away, the tourist spotlight is already on Brazil.
Five million people are expected to join the annual shindig and party to the rhythm of the samba. A fifth of them will be visitors.
One partygoer described the atmosphere: “The feeling in the parade is like a football player who scores a goal in a stadium full of people, like in Maracanà stadium.”
The carnival is supposed to run for three weeks but it often runs into overtime as the party goes on and on.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Women ‘tortured and murdered’ in German ‘House of Horrors’
French parliament debates controversial labour laws as street protests grow
Presidential hopefuls Trump and Clinton shape up as they head for the November 8 showdown
Aleppo – hopes a truce is only “hours away”
TTIP: French president Hollande says France will say no to EU-US trade deal “at this stage”
Wires > News
- 21:53 CET Proposed Irish government to prioritise spending over tax cuts -…
- 20:56 CET Liberian presidential candidate Weah’s lawyers to go to U.S. over…
- 20:30 CET EU executive to propose reforming asylum system
- 19:57 CET Kenya says arrests key member of militant group plotting attacks
- 19:48 CET MSF slams major U.N. powers over hospital attacks
- 19:47 CET Israeli who abducted, killed Palestinian teen gets life term
- 19:22 CET Exclusive – Differences over missile defence, fine print snag…
- 19:05 CET Islamic State kills U.S. Navy SEAL in northern Iraq