Pro-Russian demonstrators in Ukraine’s Crimea have been holding a rally outside the regional parliament.
They chanted “Russia” and “Berkut”, the name of Ukraine’s notorious special forces recently disbanded by the new government.
The parliament building remains occupied by protesters who seized it on Thursday, raising a Russian flag above it.
Some MPs were allowed into parliament and voted to hold a referendum on greater autonomy for Crimea later in the year.
The referendum would ask people if Crimea should be part of Ukraine or have state independence.
One supporter outside parliament told euronews: “I am for the independence. I am for an independent Crimea. I am against fascism. I think it is not right that some groups of people decide instead of us. They seized power. We did not elect neither Yatseniuk nor Turchinov.”
Another said: “I think we should hold it [referendum] now, immediately. Call urgent session, urgent decision here and now. In two months I think it is nonsense. It is complete nonsense.”
Sergio Cantone, euronews correspondent in Ukraine said: “Through this referendum – that would grant more autonomy to the Crimean republic – the situation has turned into a kind of chess game between Moscow and Kyiv. Moscow has just made its move here in Crimea, now the next step from the new Kyiv government is being waited for.
- 1Nepal: more than 1,800 people killed in powerful earthquake
- 2Russian pro-Putin bikers set off on controversial “Victory Ride” to Berlin
- 3Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 4Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 5Indonesia: Seven drug convicts will be executed in days
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 5Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 9Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13International news | euronews, latest international news
- 14Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 15Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 05:56 CET Nepalese dig with bare hands for quake survivors as toll rises to…
- 05:44 CET Exclusive – “Forced to captain migrant boat at gunpoint”
- 01:30 CET Russian hackers read Obama’s unclassified emails last year – NYT
- 01:23 CET FBI investigating possible Islamic State terrorism plot in U.S. -…
- 00:33 CET Two Swedes abducted by Nusfra Front in Syria freed – TT news agency
- 23:31 CET Israeli forces kill two knife-wielding Palestinians – police
- 21:46 CET Migrant rescue mission must extend closer to Libya – Amnesty…
- 20:57 CET U.S. voices concern over India action against Ford Foundation…