Pro-Russian demonstrators in Ukraine’s Crimea have been holding a rally outside the regional parliament.
They chanted “Russia” and “Berkut”, the name of Ukraine’s notorious special forces recently disbanded by the new government.
The parliament building remains occupied by protesters who seized it on Thursday, raising a Russian flag above it.
Some MPs were allowed into parliament and voted to hold a referendum on greater autonomy for Crimea later in the year.
The referendum would ask people if Crimea should be part of Ukraine or have state independence.
One supporter outside parliament told euronews: “I am for the independence. I am for an independent Crimea. I am against fascism. I think it is not right that some groups of people decide instead of us. They seized power. We did not elect neither Yatseniuk nor Turchinov.”
Another said: “I think we should hold it [referendum] now, immediately. Call urgent session, urgent decision here and now. In two months I think it is nonsense. It is complete nonsense.”
Sergio Cantone, euronews correspondent in Ukraine said: “Through this referendum – that would grant more autonomy to the Crimean republic – the situation has turned into a kind of chess game between Moscow and Kyiv. Moscow has just made its move here in Crimea, now the next step from the new Kyiv government is being waited for.
- 1‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 2Amanda Knox: ‘Joy’ as murder conviction overturned
- 3Doctor had excused co-pilot from work on day of tragic flight 9525
- 4Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note and ‘mystery illness’ raise more questions about co-pilot
- 5Germanwings plane crash explanation stuns Europe
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 13:49 CET Germanwings crash co-pilot may have had detached retina – newspaper
- 13:32 CET Germanwings crash co-pilot may have had detached retina – newspaper
- 11:51 CET Tunisia says senior militant commander killed in raid
- 11:49 CET Uzbekistan votes, to extend leader’s reign to over three decades
- 11:46 CET Pope, on Palm Sunday, pays tribute to ‘today’s martyrs’
- 11:45 CET Singapore stands still as nation bids farewell to founding father…
- 10:16 CET Earthquake measuring 5.9 magnitude strikes in Moluccas, Indonesia…
- 08:27 CET Tunisian forces kill nine militants in south before solidarity…