28/02/14 06:55 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Ukraine’s interior minister claims Russian forces have now taken control of two airports in Crimea.
Eyewitnesses in the regional centre of Simferopol say the group was dressed in the same clothing as those who seized the parliament in Crimea yesterday.
One man in uniform told euronews: “We want the people of Crimea to understand that we will stay here for a long, long period of time and that it’s a place not only for Russians and Tatars, but also for Ukrainians, Germans, Jews and they want to live here in peace.”
An airport spokesperson said the attackers eventually abandoned their plans and apologised.
But shortly afterwards a military airport near the port of Sevastopol was seized. There are no reports of any bloodshed or clashes near where the Russian Black Sea fleet has a base.
Ukraine’s Interior Minister Arsen Avakov has described the raid as an armed invasion in violation of international accords.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
Latest world news
TTIP: French president Hollande says France will say no to EU-US trade deal “at this stage”
Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Spain arrests four men allegedly behind on-line Islamist Radicalisation plot
Probe indicates falsified documents in Flamanville nuclear plant construction
Turkey to abolish visas for Greek Cypriots
Wires > News
- 14:05 CET New security at Brussels Airport causes delays, missed flights
- 14:02 CET U.S. targets Islamic State in Mosul, other cities in Iraq, Syria
- 13:59 CET Turkey to abolish visas for EU states including Cyprus under…
- 13:51 CET Islamic State forces kill U.S. armed forces member in Iraq
- 13:29 CET Baby pulled out alive three days after collapse of Kenya building
- 13:18 CET Fists fly as Sri Lankan MPs protest changing of the guard for…
- 13:17 CET Rebel shelling kills at least 19 in Aleppo – Observatory
- 13:07 CET Hungary plans to hold migrant quota referendum in September or…