The door remains open for Ukraine to join NATO, but the head of the military alliance has urged Kiev to focus on reform.
Anders Fogh Rasmussen made his remarks ahead of a two-day meeting of NATO defence ministers from its 28 members.
“That’s for the Ukrainians to decide. Actually, I don’t think it’s the most urgent priority for the new Ukrainian leadership. We all remember what we decided at the NATO Summit in Bucharest in 2008.
“We decided that Ukraine will become a member of NATO, of course, provided the country so wishes and provided the country fulfills the necessary criteria,” said Fogh Rasmussen.
So it’s for Ukraine to decide. But I think there are more urgent priorities to address right now. We stand ready to continue our engagement with Ukraine.”
The summit takes amid reports of Russian military drills in western Russia.
That and other key issues facing Ukraine will be discussed before the end of talks on Thursday.
On Wednesday, NATO ministers issued a statement saying the army should not intervene in the country’s political crisis and should remain neutral.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 3[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 4Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 5French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 6Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 9eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 12Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 13ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 14Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 15Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 18Germany: Violence flares at anti-austerity protest against new ECB headquarters | euronews, world news
- 19[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news