Where is Viktor Yanukovych? That’s the question being asked across Ukraine since the disgraced former president fled his luxury residence near Kyiv aboard a helicopter on Friday night. Video thought to show Yanukovych leaving was reportedly recorded by his compound’s CCTV system.
The interim interior minister has today written on his facebook profile that the ousted leader is wanted for mass murder and the police were anxious to locate him.
Talking to euronews’ Maria Korenyuk in Ukraine,“Party of regions” MP Hanna Herman addressed the ex-president’s location. She confirmed Viktor Yanukovich is still in Ukraine and that he has promised never to leave the country.
Arsen Avakov said that “Yanukovich and other people responsible for this have been declared wanted”. He believes that the fugitive leader had left a private residence in the town of Balaclava in the largely pro-Russian region of Crimea late on Sunday. He then reportedly attempted to leave the country at Belbek Airport with his head of administration.
His home in the eastern city of Donetsk remains under tight security. Wherever he is, the 63-year-old is unlikely to go unnoticed for long.
- 1Massive petition calls for EU referendum re-run
- 2Millions sign referendum re-run petition
- 3What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 4David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 5‘No need to be nasty’ Merkel wants clear-headed Brexit talks
- 1What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 2Will English remain as the de facto EU official language?
- 3David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 4Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty explained
- 5EU friendly London shocked after Britain vote to leave
Latest world news
No clear winner likely in Spanish election
Brexit crisis hits UK Labour opposition as Corbyn faces party revolt
Hundreds of West African migrants rescued in Mediterranean taken to Italy
Myanmar burns large pile of heroin and marijuana on UN anti-drugs day
US National Guard help rescue effort in flood-hit West Virginia
Wires > News
- 15:23 CET British EU exit turmoil alarms Asia, deepens party conflicts
- 14:53 CET Iraqi commander declares defeat of Islamic State in Falluja
- 12:36 CET China bus fire kills 35
- 11:57 CET Iran supreme leader – Bahrain’s move against top cleric risks…
- 11:22 CET Islamic State militants launch new attacks in eastern Afghanistan
- 11:21 CET Assailant gets life for Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing spree
- 10:45 CET Kenya aims to cut size of Somali refugee camp by about half by…
- 09:59 CET Australian PM urges stability vote in national poll after Brexit…