Where is Viktor Yanukovych? That’s the question being asked across Ukraine since the disgraced former president fled his luxury residence near Kyiv aboard a helicopter on Friday night. Video thought to show Yanukovych leaving was reportedly recorded by his compound’s CCTV system.
The interim interior minister has today written on his facebook profile that the ousted leader is wanted for mass murder and the police were anxious to locate him.
Talking to euronews’ Maria Korenyuk in Ukraine,“Party of regions” MP Hanna Herman addressed the ex-president’s location. She confirmed Viktor Yanukovich is still in Ukraine and that he has promised never to leave the country.
Arsen Avakov said that “Yanukovich and other people responsible for this have been declared wanted”. He believes that the fugitive leader had left a private residence in the town of Balaclava in the largely pro-Russian region of Crimea late on Sunday. He then reportedly attempted to leave the country at Belbek Airport with his head of administration.
His home in the eastern city of Donetsk remains under tight security. Wherever he is, the 63-year-old is unlikely to go unnoticed for long.
Wires > News
- 00:08 CET Australia PM Turnbull says will call election for July 2
- 00:01 CET Russia delays U.N. council condemnation of North Korea missile…
- 23:10 CET Islamic State kills U.S. Navy SEAL in northern Iraq
- 21:53 CET Proposed Irish government to prioritise spending over tax cuts -…
- 20:56 CET Liberian presidential candidate Weah’s lawyers to go to U.S. over…
- 20:30 CET EU executive to propose reforming asylum system
- 19:57 CET Kenya says arrests key member of militant group plotting attacks
- 19:48 CET MSF slams major U.N. powers over hospital attacks