23/02/14 10:44 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Thousands are dancing the Samba this weekend along Ipanema beach,Rio de Janeiro in a pre-festival party ahead of the city’s big carnival.
This annual shindig is named after the street band that leads it, “Simpatia? Quase Amor,” which roughly translates to “Friendliness is Almost Love.”
Designer Monica Marta has participated in the block party since it first started three decades ago:
“Carnival for me is a place of protest, of irreverence, it’s where we send a message, make a demand and also express some joy, happiness and it shakes things up,” she said. “And 30 years of “Simpatia” (sympathy), it’s very exciting,” added Marta.
The band will lead another parade and block party when the Carnival begins this Friday February 28.
With the World Cup just over three months away, the tourist spotlight is on Brazil.
Five million people are expected to join Rio carnival party next weekend, a fifth of them visitors.
Wires > News
- 11:43 CET Blast kills one at Bulgaria’s biggest military plant
- 11:41 CET Militants attack Nembe pipeline in Nigeria’s Delta – official
- 11:37 CET At G7, Cameron keeps lid on press pack’s ‘Brexit’ probing
- 11:18 CET Turkish rockets, U.S.-led coalition hit Islamic State in Syria…
- 09:55 CET Australia police use pepper spray as nationalists clash with…
- 07:39 CET Outrage in multi-ethnic Malaysia as government backs Islamic law
- 06:59 CET U.S. forces in Okinawa hold month of mourning for murdered…
- 06:22 CET Mexico drug boss Chapo files legal challenge against extradition -…