23/02/14 10:44 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Thousands are dancing the Samba this weekend along Ipanema beach,Rio de Janeiro in a pre-festival party ahead of the city’s big carnival.
This annual shindig is named after the street band that leads it, “Simpatia? Quase Amor,” which roughly translates to “Friendliness is Almost Love.”
Designer Monica Marta has participated in the block party since it first started three decades ago:
“Carnival for me is a place of protest, of irreverence, it’s where we send a message, make a demand and also express some joy, happiness and it shakes things up,” she said. “And 30 years of “Simpatia” (sympathy), it’s very exciting,” added Marta.
The band will lead another parade and block party when the Carnival begins this Friday February 28.
With the World Cup just over three months away, the tourist spotlight is on Brazil.
Five million people are expected to join Rio carnival party next weekend, a fifth of them visitors.
Latest world news
Pope Francis says ‘never again’ to Armenians massacred in WWI
Obama stands by ‘back of queue’ warning on post-Brexit UK trade deal
Scotland, London and teenagers speak out against Brexit
Venezuela: opposition says it is on track to organise recall referendum
Spain’s politicians discuss Brexit in final day of general election campaigning
Wires > News
- 12:57 CET Founding EU members urge Britain to get on with EU divorce
- 11:24 CET Palestinian leader retracts rabbis water poisoning allegation
- 10:46 CET China says has stopped communication mechanism with Taiwan
- 09:17 CET Thousands rally in Australia for same-sex marriage
- 03:28 CET China media snidely criticise Brexit vote, but upbeat on UK ties
- 03:19 CET Three Mexican federal police gunned down in market
- 23:34 CET Could Brexit vote be a preview of U.S. presidential race?
- 22:21 CET Venezuela dialogue could open way for international help – …