Venezuela’s President Nicolas Maduro has threatened to expel the US TV news channel CNN unless it “rectified its coverage” of the recent protests.
“I asked the Communications Minister to notify CNN to start the administrative process of removing them from Venezuela if they don’t rectify their story. CNN, go from Venezuela and stop your propaganda war. I don’t accept a propaganda war,” Maduro announced on TV.
Anti-government protests continued in cities across Venezuela on Thursday with people angry at high levels of crime and economic hardship.
Six people have died in the last week of demonstrations with dozens more injured.
Pro-government supporters also marched in Caracas, in support of Maduro’s government.
Meanwhile, opposition leader Henrique Capriles called on the president to disarm pro-government groups.
“I ask for you to disarm illegal armed groups. As it is not true that the arms of the Republic are only in the hands of the armed forces,” Capriles said.
Maduro accuses the US and other right-wing governments of being behind the protests and attempting to overthrow him.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.