In Lviv, Ternopil, Lutsk, Ivano-Frankivsk, Uzhgorod, Chernivtsi, and Rivne, activists have seized Regional Administrations and in some cities other public buildings: the prosecutor’s office, police stations, or security service offices.
In Lutsk, Ternopyl police took the side of the protesters and joined them in demanding the dismissal of President Yanukovych.
Meanwhile the seizure of police stations in Lviv continues. Several hundred rioters have seized the building of the Lviv city police department. Thirty people hurt in the events that happened in Lviv last night needed medical assistance.
Weapons and ammunition were stolen from the Ukrainian Security Service in Ivano-Frankivsk and Lviv.
Volodymyr Porodko, deputy head of the Ukrainian Security Service, said weapons and ammunition were also stolen from the Ukrainian Security Service department in Ivano-Frankivsk.
Weapons were stolen from Ukrainian Police Stations in Lviv as well. City mayor Andriy Sadovy confirmed that but he said military ammunition was secure.
“We’ve been told about 500 guns have disappeared from police armories, and no-one knows where they are right now,” said euronews’ Victoria Ivaskevych in Lviv.
The executive committee of Lviv’s regional council, the People’s Rada, issued this statement:
“The regime has begun active military action against people […] Dozens of people have been killed in Kyiv and hundreds have been wounded. Fulfilling the will of society, the executive committee of the Lviv regional council, the People’s Rada, is assuming full responsibility for the fate of the region and its citizens,” the statement said.
The executive committee is made up of elected figures, representatives of the Maidan self-defence organisation, public figures, and scientists, the Lviv region’s council has reported. The executive committee is led by Petro Kolodiy, chairman of the Lviv regional council. Lviv, a city of 750,000 people, is capital of a region of 2.5 million citizens.
“We support the demonstrator’s radical methods because otherwise those in power won’t listen. We’ve already demonstrated loads of times peacefully, and the president ignores us, so there’s no other way,” said two young women in Lviv.
The executive committee controls all executive administration bodies and is calling on all state servants and citizens to fulfill decisions and orders signed by Kolodiy, the document says.
The document reiterates that the main function of the executive committee is to maintain law and order in the region and help send activists to Kyiv and provide the Maidan activists with everything they need.
In Uzhgorod protesters entered the Zakarpattya Regional Administration, broke down the doors and broke through barricades. The police could not stop them.
In Odessa about 100 unidentified men wearing masks and helmets and armed with baseball bats assaulted a pro-European opposition demonstration near the regional administration headquarters.
At least three journalists, two cameramen with Pervy Gorodskoi television and a photojournalist with the Odessa editorial office of Komsomolskaya Pravda, were hurt.
A woman is in critical condition after she was shot in Khmelnytsky during the storming of a local Security Service of Ukraine office by anti-government Maidan protesters. A car reportedly drove up to the building and opened fire, with six to eight bullets hitting the woman in her chest.
In Dnipropetrovsk there was a picket near the Regional State Administration. Activists demanded the authorities stop killing people in Kyiv. They were holding torches and banners saying things like “ The Regime kills people”, “Blood on your hands “, and “Ukraine, awake!”
The Ukrainian Interior Ministry is investigating 40 criminal cases of mass disorder, says the Deputy Chief of the Interior Ministry’s Main Investigation Department Oleh Tatarov.
Traffic to Kyiv will be restricted starting at midnight to prevent the escalation of mass unrest in the city, the Ukrainian government press service reported.
- 1Putin and Hollande agree on greater cooperation over Syrian air strikes
- 2Turkey dismisses Russia’s economic threats over downing of fighter jet
- 3Russia hits Turkey with economic sanctions, warns more could follow
- 4How to talk to kids about tragedies such as the Paris attacks
- 5Turkey and Russia trade barbs as tensions mount over downed jet
- 1Warning or no warning – tension grows between Russia and Turkey over downed jet
- 2Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
- 3Hollande adds Italy to his coalition before heading to Moscow
- 4Media war Turkish and Russian press react to downed fighter
- 5Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 12Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 19Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Latest world news
Paris terror attack victims honoured at national memorial service
Kenya: Pope Francis visits slum, calls for more to be done about poverty
Paris terror victims honoured in national memorial service
USA: estimates suggest early Black Friday sales not up to the mark
Italian police seize hundreds of rifles bound for Belgium
Wires > News
- 13:49 CET Polish ship attacked off Nigeria coast, five sailors held, Poland…
- 13:34 CET Kremlin says Turkey’s Erdogan requests meeting with Putin in Paris
- 13:17 CET Two Palestinians ram cars into Israeli soldiers, shot dead
- 13:07 CET France pays tribute to victims of Paris attacks
- 12:51 CET Thailand says ‘highly likely’ it will seek TPP membership
- 12:40 CET Governments take rose-tinted view of climate projections before…
- 12:31 CET Kenya backs down from threat to leave ICC over Vice-President
- 11:33 CET Putin seeks map of forces not to bomb in Syria – France