19/02/14 00:19 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
European Union foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton, who tried to broker a power-sharing transition, has urged Ukraine’s leadership “to address the root causes of the crisis”.
“I call upon president Yanukovych, the government together with the leaders of the opposition to find an immediate way out of this deepening crisis, and to continue the work to find a way to solve the political crisis through dialogue,” said Ashton.
“As I have said in each of the visits I have made, the European Union stands ready to help in any way that we can,” Ashton added.
German Foreign Minister Frank Walter Steinmeier warned his Ukrainian counterpart against sliding back into violence. He urged Ukraine to keep working on a political solution.
“Those responsible for making decisions that lead to further bloodshed should know that Europe’s decision on sanctions will be reconsidered for sure,” said Steinmeier
In Washington, White House spokesman Jay Carney urged Yanukovych to restart a dialogue with opposition leaders.
“We are appalled by the violence that has already taken place in downtown Kyiv and reports of armed riot police massing on the edge of Maidan. We continue to condemn street violence and excessive use of force by either side. Force will not resolve the crisis,” said Carney in a briefing.
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Latest world news
US college basketball loses coaching legend: Pat Summitt dies, aged 64
IKEA recalls millions of chests and dressers following link to children’s deaths
France: deadly fire engulfs chemical plant near Lyon
Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
Thousands protest in France as Senate approves controversial labour law
Wires > News
- 06:05 CET Exclusive: U.S. to upgrade Thailand in annual human trafficking…
- 02:23 CET Brazil Congress investigates lawmaker’s alleged support of torture
- 01:19 CET Dutch PM Rutte wants ‘binding’ assurances over EU’s Ukraine deal
- 01:18 CET As Duterte takes over in Philippines, police killings stir fear
- 00:15 CET Italy, Netherlands propose split U.N. Security Council seat for…
- 00:12 CET Clinton leads Trump by 11 points in U.S. presidential race -…
- 00:09 CET Canada presses China over reports of Hong Kong visa clamp down
- 23:44 CET Exclusive – Trump supporters more likely to view blacks…