European Union foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton, who tried to broker a power-sharing transition, has urged Ukraine’s leadership “to address the root causes of the crisis”.
“I call upon president Yanukovych, the government together with the leaders of the opposition to find an immediate way out of this deepening crisis, and to continue the work to find a way to solve the political crisis through dialogue,” said Ashton.
“As I have said in each of the visits I have made, the European Union stands ready to help in any way that we can,” Ashton added.
German Foreign Minister Frank Walter Steinmeier warned his Ukrainian counterpart against sliding back into violence. He urged Ukraine to keep working on a political solution.
“Those responsible for making decisions that lead to further bloodshed should know that Europe’s decision on sanctions will be reconsidered for sure,” said Steinmeier
In Washington, White House spokesman Jay Carney urged Yanukovych to restart a dialogue with opposition leaders.
“We are appalled by the violence that has already taken place in downtown Kyiv and reports of armed riot police massing on the edge of Maidan. We continue to condemn street violence and excessive use of force by either side. Force will not resolve the crisis,” said Carney in a briefing.
- 1Five children among a dozen migrants to drown off Turkish coast
- 2New coin issued to mark Queen’s record reign
- 3Thousands stuck in Budapest as Hungary refuses to allow migrants to travel
- 4Schengen recoil could turn EU travel back 20 years
- 5Eurostar suffers severe delays as migrants attempt to block Channel Tunnel
- 1Migrants with tickets denied access to Budapest train station
- 2Satellite images show ISIL destruction in Palmyra
- 3‘No person is illegal’ – Vienna holds rally for refugees
- 4Ukraine: deputies explain for and against the decentralisation law
- 5Hungary’s hardline stance on refugees ‘benefits’ people smugglers
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Latest world news
A bloody day in Yemen
Iceland: thousands sign petition urging government to accept more refugees
US judge rejects bid to drop charges against police officers over Freddie Gray death
US president tours Resurrection Bay to highlight Alaska climate change
Exhausted animals rescued from flooded zoo in Ussuriysk, Russia
Wires > News
- 23:35 CET Gang violence pushes El Salvador murder rate to post-war record
- 22:39 CET Separate trials ordered for Baltimore police officers charged in…
- 22:34 CET Israel parliament approves 2015-16 budget draft in first vote
- 21:43 CET Eighteen Turkish workers kidnapped in Baghdad, firm says
- 20:33 CET Row over Libyan sovereign fund LIA reaches UK court
- 20:16 CET Migrants shut Eurostar trains to UK; dead wash up on Turkish beach
- 20:14 CET Islamic State claims bomb attack on Yemeni mosque, 28 reported dead
- 20:08 CET U.S. Army to open elite Ranger School to all genders