15/02/14 05:48 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Hungary’s far-right Jobbik party has held a pre-election rally in a former synagogue, much to the dismay of protesters from the country’s most prominent Jewish group, Mazsihisz.
The municipal building in Esztergom, north of Budapest, is now a community centre.
Demonstrators stood outside, waving star of David flags and calling party members “Nazis.” They said the location had been deliberately chosen to provoke them.
“This is a disgraceful event,” said Ágnes Drelyó, one of the protest’s organisers. “Shame on Gábor Vona and his party for using a former synagogue. We could not let the rally happen without saying anything. Any normal person who is morally OK, will not agree with what’s happening.”
But Jobbick party leader Gábor Vona disagreed.
“If we had cancelled it would have served as an admission of something to hide where the Jewish community is concerned,” he said. “We don’t have anything to be ashamed of.”
With the anti-fascist protesters outside under the watchful eye of the police, the forum got underway without interruption.
Vona, who was surrounded by black-jacketed party members during his speech, told euronews the rally wasn’t designed to provoke anyone.
However, Attila Magyar, euronews’ correspondent in Esztergom said the choice of location was intended to provoke:
“Last year the Jobbik party interrupted several parliamentary sessions. Now something similar has happened to its members. By choosing this location, the party has achieved its goal and received the attention it was seeking.”
Parliamentary elections will be held in Hungary in April.
The current government refused to comment on political rallies, adding that local authorities are responsible for municipal buildings.
When asked, Csilla Maronka, the director of the community centre in Esztergom said the hall is often leased for a variety of events to provide additional income.
- 1Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 2Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
- 3Turkey warns Russia not to ‘play with fire’ over downing of fighter jet
- 4Mali: at least 3 dead in attack on UN peacekeepers base in Kidal
- 5Turkey detains journalists who allege army lorries carried weapons for ISIL
- 1Turkey dismisses Russia’s economic threats over downing of fighter jet
- 2Putin and Hollande agree on greater cooperation over Syrian air strikes
- 3Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 4Russia hits Turkey with economic sanctions, warns more could follow
- 5Italian police seize hundreds of rifles bound for Belgium
- 1Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 2Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 3Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 4Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 5Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 15‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 16No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 19Latest News Bulletin
- 20Terrorist threat on Europe’s rail network, according to German tabloid
Latest world news
Top Kurdish lawyer Tahir Elci shot dead in Turkey
Ahead of COP21, climate-change activists prepare to march on London
Mali: at least 3 dead, 4 seriously injured in attack on UN base in Kidal
Police name Planned Parenthood shooting suspect
Mali: at least 3 dead in attack on UN peacekeepers base in Kidal
Wires > News
- 15:16 CET Police, migrants clash on Macedonia border; soldiers build fence
- 15:13 CET Ahead of climate summit, French use emergency laws to put…
- 15:12 CET Spain’s Rajoy vows to cut tax, create jobs if re-elected
- 14:59 CET China police bust online gun ring, seize 1,180 guns – Xinhua
- 14:54 CET Police fire tear gas on crowd of mourners in eastern Congo
- 14:45 CET Kenya arrests two Iranians suspected of planning attacks – ministry
- 14:28 CET Top Kurdish lawyer killed in southeast Turkey, protests expected
- 13:22 CET Syrian army advances against Islamic State east of Aleppo – Syria…