15/02/14 01:23 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
He has never been elected to parliament, or served in an Italian government, but Matteo Renzi could be asked to form the country’s next government this weekend.
It’s predicted the Mayor of Florence and leader of the centre-left Democratic Party could be named Italy’s youngest PM by Saturday evening and sworn into office early next week.
President Giorgio Napolitano opened consultations in Rome with other political leaders on Friday afternoon. The heads of the anti-establishment Five Star Movement – which gained a quarter of the vote in last year’s election – and the Northern League refused to take part.
But the current acting leader of the Forza Italia party Silvio Berlusconi, who says he is the last elected prime minister, did join in the consultations.
It’s the first time the former prime minister has met with the president since he was convicted of tax fraud.
The outgoing PM Enrico Letta formally handed in his resignation to the president on Friday.
Opinion polls suggest the majority of Italians disapprove of Renzi taking over without an election.
The fall of the government coincided with Moody’s investor services lifting Italy’s sovereign rating from negative to stable.
Even so the economy, which is one of the world’s slowest growing in the last two years, will be one of the 39-year-old Renzi’s biggest challenges.
- 1‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 2Two commuter trains collide head-on in Germany
- 3Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 4Refugees in Hungary offered classes to speed integration
- 5New migrant tragedy claims 27 lives as Greece grapples with refugee crisis
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 4Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 5Partnering to grow Europe
- 6Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 11Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 12Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 13Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 15Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 18Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 19Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
Wires > News
- 11:30 CET In Kenya’s Rift Valley, blood and bulls mark gateway to manhood
- 11:21 CET Scant hope of Syria peace breakthrough as Russia pounds rebels
- 11:10 CET EU executive to recommend suspending third of migrant relocation…
- 10:57 CET Fighting kills at least 500 in Aleppo province since Syrian army…
- 10:52 CET North Korea executes army chief of staff – South Korean media
- 10:49 CET Bulgaria nominates head of UNESCO for top U.N. post
- 10:45 CET More than 100 arrested in Sicilian anti-Mafia operation
- 10:39 CET Greek prime minister says ready to talk to farmers over pensions