15/02/14 01:23 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
He has never been elected to parliament, or served in an Italian government, but Matteo Renzi could be asked to form the country’s next government this weekend.
It’s predicted the Mayor of Florence and leader of the centre-left Democratic Party could be named Italy’s youngest PM by Saturday evening and sworn into office early next week.
President Giorgio Napolitano opened consultations in Rome with other political leaders on Friday afternoon. The heads of the anti-establishment Five Star Movement – which gained a quarter of the vote in last year’s election – and the Northern League refused to take part.
But the current acting leader of the Forza Italia party Silvio Berlusconi, who says he is the last elected prime minister, did join in the consultations.
It’s the first time the former prime minister has met with the president since he was convicted of tax fraud.
The outgoing PM Enrico Letta formally handed in his resignation to the president on Friday.
Opinion polls suggest the majority of Italians disapprove of Renzi taking over without an election.
The fall of the government coincided with Moody’s investor services lifting Italy’s sovereign rating from negative to stable.
Even so the economy, which is one of the world’s slowest growing in the last two years, will be one of the 39-year-old Renzi’s biggest challenges.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Migrants in Idomeni react angrily to idea of visa-free Schengen travel for Turkey
“Life was better then” – Serbs commemorate death of Marshal Tito
Kasich crashes out of race leaving Trump unchallenged for Republican nomination
End of May Hong Kong sale to feature world’s biggest green diamond
Papa Wemba buried in Kinshasa
Wires > News
- 20:05 CET ‘Three Amigos’ Obama, Trudeau, Pena Nieto to meet June 29
- 19:14 CET Russia arrests groups for planning attacks in Moscow region -…
- 18:55 CET U.S., allies to do more to combat Islamic State – Carter
- 18:52 CET ‘Nasty’ wildfire spurs evacuation of 88,000 in Canadian city
- 18:43 CET NATO approves Israeli representation to its headquarters
- 18:38 CET U.S. Navy SEAL killed in Iraq was part of ‘quick reaction force’
- 18:29 CET Syria withholds aid to thousands, risks new siege in Aleppo – U.N.
- 17:33 CET Russia warns of retaliation if NATO makes more deployments in…