15/02/14 12:55 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Lebanese officials announced they have formed a new government after ten months of political crisis.
Beirut has been without a government since Prime Minister Najib Mikati’s resignation in March 2013.
Tammam Salam was nominated as prime minister in April 2013 but had been unable to form a government because of deep division between Shiite Hezbollah and Sunni politicians over the conflict in neighbouring Syria.
Last month the Sunnis announced they would work with Hezbollah and its allies despite opposing their military support for Assad in Syria.
The secretary general of Lebanon’s Council of Ministers named the new cabinet ministers in a televised news conference.
Former energy minister Gebran Bassil was appointed foreign minister and former health minister Ali Hassan Khalil takes over the Finance Ministry, with parliamentarian Nouhad Machnouk appointed interior minister.
Salam was named as the head of the new government in a presidential decree .
Sectarian divisions in Lebanon reflect those in neighboring Syria. There has been an increase in violence and bomb attacks in the capital Beirut in recent months.
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Wires > News
- 01:32 CET Document spells out FBI rules to get journalists’ phone records -…
- 01:15 CET Lower voting age leaves many wondering ‘Where’s Japan’s Bernie?‘
- 01:12 CET Hopes for democracy crushed in the Chinese rebel village of Wukan
- 00:53 CET Obama administration calls on private sector to assist refugees
- 00:49 CET Woman dies, children hurt in Bahrain bomb blast – police
- 23:38 CET Trump raises questions about Bill Clinton meeting amid probe
- 23:10 CET U.S., Russia discuss Syria cooperation if Assad halts some strikes
- 22:35 CET U.S.-backed rebel group vows new attacks against IS after border…