Lebanese officials announced they have formed a new government after ten months of political crisis.
Beirut has been without a government since Prime Minister Najib Mikati’s resignation in March 2013.
Tammam Salam was nominated as prime minister in April 2013 but had been unable to form a government because of deep division between Shiite Hezbollah and Sunni politicians over the conflict in neighbouring Syria.
Last month the Sunnis announced they would work with Hezbollah and its allies despite opposing their military support for Assad in Syria.
The secretary general of Lebanon’s Council of Ministers named the new cabinet ministers in a televised news conference.
Former energy minister Gebran Bassil was appointed foreign minister and former health minister Ali Hassan Khalil takes over the Finance Ministry, with parliamentarian Nouhad Machnouk appointed interior minister.
Salam was named as the head of the new government in a presidential decree .
Sectarian divisions in Lebanon reflect those in neighboring Syria. There has been an increase in violence and bomb attacks in the capital Beirut in recent months.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 10Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 17Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 18Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 19How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 20eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
Wires > News
- 05:33 CET Indonesian court delays appeal hearing of French death row convict
- 05:27 CET Vatican’s Australian-born budget chief cooperates with child abuse…
- 04:16 CET Taliban claim attack on Kabul guesthouse after overnight siege ends
- 03:34 CET Thousands of Kosovars mourn Albanian militants killed in Macedonia
- 03:04 CET Afghan insurgents launch late-night attack on Kabul guesthouse
- 01:23 CET Libyan prime minister says survives assassination attempt
- 23:42 CET Iran nuclear deal unlikely by June 30 – French envoy
- 22:59 CET China to extend military reach, build lighthouses in disputed…