With Enrico Letta’s resignation, the stage is set for Matteo Renzi to his place.
The 39-year-old has been dubbed “Italy’s Tony Blair” by supporters, who hail his communication skills.
Like Blair, Renzi looks to pull his tradtionally left-wing party to the centre ground.
Analysts say the mayor of Florence is untested in national government.
That could hurt Italy in the rush for top EU jobs.
“There needs to be a political personality capable of negotiating with heads of state and government,” said Marco Incerti of the Centre for European Policy Studies.
“Renzi has arrive on the scene. He might be appointed prime minister, with little knowledge of his colleagues, and being little-known by his colleagues. It’s something that does not work in his favour.”
- 1EU chief Juncker pleads with Greeks to defy their government and vote for EU aid package
- 2Tsipras says creditors trying to “blackmail” Athens
- 3Greece stands close to eurozone exit ahead of austerity referendum
- 4Eurogroup again fails to reach agreement
- 5Dirty business: mafia’s toxic waste crimes spread across Europe
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 7Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 8Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 9Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 10Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 15Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?