13/02/14 05:48 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
At least three people have been shot dead during anti-government protests in Venezuela.
Both sides are blaming each other for the killings while social media reports allege government backed armed groups were responsible.
The protesters are angry with President Nicolas Maduro’s failure to control inflation, crime and a lack of opportunities for the country’s young.
The marches took place on Venezuela’s National Youth Day.
One protester explained why he was there: “Venezuela is waking up, we’ve had enough of so much insecurity and repression on the part of the state’s public authorities and we are tired and showing it.”
It is the worst bout of unrest seen on the streets of the country’s capital Caracas since the turmoil which followed Maduro’s election last year.
The government has accused opposition hardliners of trying to mount a coup similar to the one a decade ago that briefly ousted the late socialist leader Hugo Chavez.
- 1Slovakia attacks EU post-Brexit direction on eve of taking over presidency
- 2Istanbul attack: suspects thought to come from former USSR
- 3Austria: Constitutional Court rules fresh presidential run-off vote must be held
- 4Putin rejects new arms race and builds bridges with Turkey
- 5Critics round on Boris Johnson after Gove wields Brexit knife
Latest world news
Gunmen storm cafe in Bangledeshi capital Dhaka
Colosseum makeover gets the thumbs up from Italian PM Renzi
Israeli-Palestinian conflict ‘perpetual’ unless positive steps taken – Quartet
EU extends sanctions against Russia over Ukraine
Brexit sparks a political drama in the UK likened to the House of Cards
Wires > News
- 20:21 CET Gunmen attack restaurant in Dhaka’s diplomatic quarter
- 20:20 CET Putin hints Russia will react if Finland joins NATO
- 20:18 CET U.S. says kills up to 116 civilians in strikes outside war zones
- 20:07 CET U.N. rights investigator urges Myanmar to crack down on religious…
- 19:10 CET Italy’s biggest Chinese community clashes with police near Florence
- 19:08 CET Two suspects in Istanbul attack identified as Russian – Turkish…
- 18:56 CET Romanians offer symbolic EU membership to ‘Remain-ian’ Brits
- 18:27 CET Witnessing migrants being rescued at sea