The Venezuelan government, led by President Nicolas Maduro, has blamed “fascist groups” for the lives lost when an anti-government protest turned deadly in Caracas on February 12.
At least three people were killed during violence that broke out after a mainly peaceful rally. Two people died after gunmen on motorbikes opened fire. A third was killed in later clashes.
Student protests in Caracas and other cities have escalated into wider demonstrations against Maduro’s rule.
Opposition politicians, while condemning the violence, are calling for more demonstrations to demand change.
Economy in dire straits: a look at the numbers
One of the main criticisms of the government is mismanagement of the economy. Venezuela’s currency devaluation and its expanding money supply have pushed inflation up to a staggering 56 percent.
The Venezuelan economy’s dependence on crude oil exports has soared to more than 95 percent.
Furthermore, Transparency International rates Venezuela as one of the most corrupt countries in the world.
Maduro’s government blames “profit-hungry businessmen” for many of the problems – including food shortages that have left shoppers having to scour supermarkets to buy staples such as milk and toilet paper.
A dangerous place to live
There is also public anger about rising crime. There were more than 21,000 homicides in 2012, according to the Venezuela Violence Observatory – amongst the highest murder rates in the world.
Furthermore, many people do not believe that the current system can keep them safe; according to Transparency International, Venezuelans believe the most corrupt institution in the country is the police.
With crime soaring and the economy tanking – Venezuela’s twin problems, each feeding the other, look set to continue worsening unless at least one of them is brought under control.
- 1Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 2US: Cars parked on frozen lake rescued after ice cracks
- 3Pegida fails to ignite as Europe-wide anti-Muslim protests fizzle
- 4One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 5S Korea denounces N Korea rocket launch as ‘unacceptable provocation’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 6Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 8Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 9Partnering to grow Europe
- 10Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 13Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 16Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 17Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 18latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
Latest world news
33 migrants killed as two boats capsize off Turkey’s Aegean coast
Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
Taiwan: more survivors are pulled from the rubble
US election: New Hampshire gears up for first presidential primary
Thousands of Syrians stranded in ‘desperate situation’ on Turkish border
Wires > News
- 13:02 CET Lawyers see limited legal options for workers sent in Zika’s way
- 12:47 CET IS forced to cut fighters’ pay 50 percent because of airstrikes…
- 12:44 CET EU drugs agency sets up Zika task force to speed vaccine work
- 12:20 CET Before New Hampshire primary, Trump campaign shows mellower side
- 12:19 CET Russia says arrests seven Islamic State militants over attack plot
- 12:07 CET Spanish grave opened on order of Argentine judge unearths painful…
- 11:08 CET North Korea rocket launch may spur U.S. missile defence buildup in…
- 11:06 CET Somalia plane bomber was meant to be on Turkish flight – airline…