13/02/14 00:54 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Italian Prime Minister Enrico Letta says he will not resign, and has published his programme for the next four years, his “Commitment for Italy”, but will he get that time to implement it?
In fact Italy may be lurching into another political crisis as plots are afoot to undermine Letta, especially from his arch-rival the mayor of Florence. But Letta has had enough.
“A resignation can’t be based on rumours or backstage manoeuvres. I think if you respect the institutions you must clearly say what you want to do. Especially those who want to replace me must present a programme to the Italians,” he insisted.
The unelected Letta is attempting to stay above party politics and convince Italians his neutral detachment is what the country needs.
But it seems many are falling under the charm of the ambitious leader of the Democratic Party Matteo Renzi. From his Florence power base he is building momentum and seems prepared to cast his net wide; he has held talks with Silvio Berlusconi over electoral law reform, for example.
The former prime minister’s shadow still hangs over Italy’s politics, which after such a long period of domination by one man, is now in flux, a vacuum just waiting to be filled.
- 1Slovakia attacks EU post-Brexit direction on eve of taking over presidency
- 2Istanbul attack: suspects thought to come from former USSR
- 3Putin rejects new arms race and builds bridges with Turkey
- 4Austria: Constitutional Court rules fresh presidential run-off vote must be held
- 5Critics round on Boris Johnson after Gove wields Brexit knife
Latest world news
Russian and Turkish foreign ministers meet in Sochi
Europe falls silent to commemorate the centenary of the Battle of the Somme
British, US and European bond yields tumble on the prospect of lower interest rates
The National Liberation Army fails to follow in the footsteps of FARC rebels and lay down arms
The UK needs a Brexit prime minister – Gove
Wires > News
- 18:53 CET Putin says Russia to talk to NATO on measures of trust and…
- 18:27 CET Witnessing migrants being rescued at sea
- 18:13 CET Avoid flights over Baltic Sea with transponders off – Finnish…
- 18:08 CET Two suspects in Istanbul attack identified as Russian – Turkish…
- 17:47 CET Three Kenyan police reported held over disappearances, rights…
- 17:26 CET Czech Republic says you can call us Czechia
- 17:17 CET Israel to cut Palestinian tax transfers after West Bank killing
- 17:16 CET Syrian warplane crashes near Damascus, rebels say pilot killed