13/02/14 04:31 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The outline of a deal has been reached towards ending a lengthy budget dispute over the stalled project to expand the Panama canal.
It involves a proposal for insurers Zurich to transfer its surety bond into debt as a financing mechanism to go part way to covering a loan to complete the work.
The administrator of the Panama Canal Authority Jorge Quijano, hopes to find a way to fund 1.6 billion dollars (1.17bn euros) of cost overruns.
“We still have some topics to resolve and we are working in that direction. But patience is not finite and in truth we are thinking that this has to end by no later than next week,” Quijano said.
A consortium led by Spain’s Sacyr bid over $3bn (2.2bn euros) for the contract to build two new sets of locks for the canal which connects the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. Sacyr’s bid was one billion less than its nearest competitor.
The dispute over who should fund the overruns has delayed the project by weeks.
- 1Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
- 2Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
- 3The strategic map of the the offensive against ISIL
- 4Germany: Pegida objects to Kinder using images of non-white children on its chocolate wrappers
- 5Russia-Hungary meeting ahead of EU sanctions decision
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
- 3EgyptAir crash: suggestions of explosion on board ‘mere assumptions’ – official
- 4A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 5French union blockades spark petrol shortages
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
Prominent journalist freed in Azerbaijan
French nuclear workers vote to join strike against labour laws
Russia-Hungary meeting ahead of EU sanctions decision
The strategic map of the the offensive against ISIL
Overcrowded fishing boat capsizes off Italian coast, 500 migrants rescued
Wires > News
- 22:51 CET Guinean sailors arrested after clash with Sierra Leone navy
- 22:27 CET French, Italian firms to help search for EgyptAir black boxes
- 22:16 CET U.N. concerned by rising political tension in Congo ahead of vote
- 22:01 CET Obama administration officials warn lawmakers over Iran sanctions
- 21:38 CET Exclusive – EU launches contingency talks for Brexit vote: sources
- 21:28 CET U.S. says new Israeli coalition raises ‘legitimate questions’
- 21:13 CET Islamic State claims fatal stabbing of Bangladeshi Hindu -monitor…
- 21:10 CET French labour clash escalates, public fear impact on Euro 2016