Israelis are showing great interest in Madrid’s moves to grant dual nationality status to the descendants of Jews expelled from Spain in 1492.
So-called Sephardic Jews make up around a quarter of Israel’s population.
Many Israelis welcome the planned legislation as righting a wrong. For others, it is too little too late.
“The time has come after 500 years for descendants to receive a little something and it is really a change for the better in the world for Jews overall,” said one Jerusalem resident who gave his name only as Reiner.
Around 300,000 Jews lived in Spain before the Catholic monarchs, Isabella and Ferdinand, ordered Jews and Muslims to convert to the Catholic faith or leave the country.
Amending an existing offer of citizenship, this bill would allow Sephardic Jews to keep their current passports as well as becoming Spanish.
Spain’s embassy in Israel says it has had “many” inquiries from potential applicants.
“The next stage will be how you achieve the citizenship, when you declare, how you declare, what documents you have to submit, which authority, which state will deal with the affair?” said Abraham Haim, the head of the Council of the Sephardic Community in Jerusalem.
The law, which still needs parliamentary approval, would potentially allow 3.5 million residents of countries where Sephardic Jews eventually settled, like Israel, France, the US and Turkey, to apply for Spanish nationality.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 2[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330
- 3Netanyahu warns US Congress against Iran nuclear deal
- 4Artists hints at Monica Lewinsky scandal in Bill Clinton portrait
- 5Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage
- 1‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 2Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 3Amnesty calls on permanent members of UN Security Council to lose their veto
- 4Mexico volcano eruption causes further flight cancellations
- 5Kyiv’s suspension of gas flow to eastern Ukraine ‘smells of genocide’ says Putin
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 6Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 7Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 8International news | euronews, latest international news
- 9Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 12Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 13Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 14‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 15Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 16euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 17Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 18Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 19London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 20Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 11:43 CET Egypt’s cabinet approves long-awaited investment law – PM
- 11:40 CET Slovenia allows same-sex couples to marry, adopt children
- 11:38 CET Palestinian leadership gathers to review ties with Israel
- 11:35 CET Former allies sue Mugabe and ZANU-PF party for breaching rules
- 11:27 CET Philippines’ Aquino promises police commandos extra resources…
- 11:18 CET Two Malaysians identified in IS beheading video from Syria
- 11:11 CET Russian security service chief says several suspects in Nemtsov…
- 11:01 CET In Gaza, demand grows for a plastic surgeon’s services