Despite 19 of the EU’s 28 members voting against, American chemicals giants Du Pont and Dow look set to get the seal of approval on growing a strain of genetically modified corn in Europe.
Four member states abstained, while only five approved the crop, but because of the EU’s weighted voting system the European Commission is now obliged to pass it.
“If there is no negative qualified majority against the proposal then the Commission not may, but shall, adopt the proposal,” said the Health and Consumer Policy Commissioner Tonio Borg.
Germany’s Greens were furious at their country’s abstention, as a “no” vote there would have made all the difference.
“Today the Federal government missed an historic opportunity to be a clear voice against genetic engineering in Europe. The approval of genetically modified maize on European soil puts genetically modified food on consumer’s plates. Almost all Germans oppose that,” said the Green’s Simone Peter.
Several GMO crops are already grown in Europe, while others have been refused or withdrawn by their companies, citing consumer resistance to buying the product.
- 1Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 2Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
- 3What’s gone wrong with Rome?
- 4MH370: wreckage found on island ‘almost certainly’ from Boeing 777
- 5Missing MH370 flight : Plane wreckage washed up on Reunion Island is tested
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 3Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar is confirmed dead
- 4Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 5Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Latest world news
Ukraine: Civilians killed in shelling amid fragile truce
Orthodox Jew ‘repeats’ Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing attack
Plane debris to be sent to France to investigate possible links to MH370
Russia ‘involved’ in Litvinenko death says Scotland Yard
Belgian dairy farmers block roads in more price protests
Wires > News
- 00:24 CET Brazil’s Rousseff announces more education spending cuts
- 00:11 CET Checked bag fees are here to stay – United Airlines CEO
- 00:11 CET Greece’s Tsipras asserts control over party with congress vote
- 00:10 CET Indian Ocean debris almost certainly from Boeing 777
- 23:37 CET Canada’s election campaign seen starting Sunday
- 23:19 CET U.S. political fight over Iran nuclear deal goes Hollywood
- 22:32 CET Pentagon chief gives nod to arm more troops in U.S. after shooting
- 22:15 CET Venezuela troops occupy Polar food distribution warehouses