11/02/14 22:08 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Despite 19 of the EU’s 28 members voting against, American chemicals giants Du Pont and Dow look set to get the seal of approval on growing a strain of genetically modified corn in Europe.
Four member states abstained, while only five approved the crop, but because of the EU’s weighted voting system the European Commission is now obliged to pass it.
“If there is no negative qualified majority against the proposal then the Commission not may, but shall, adopt the proposal,” said the Health and Consumer Policy Commissioner Tonio Borg.
Germany’s Greens were furious at their country’s abstention, as a “no” vote there would have made all the difference.
“Today the Federal government missed an historic opportunity to be a clear voice against genetic engineering in Europe. The approval of genetically modified maize on European soil puts genetically modified food on consumer’s plates. Almost all Germans oppose that,” said the Green’s Simone Peter.
Several GMO crops are already grown in Europe, while others have been refused or withdrawn by their companies, citing consumer resistance to buying the product.
- 1Turkish forces attack Syrian and Kurdish positions in northern Syria
- 2Exclusive: Syria would be ‘chaos’ if Assad ousted, says Medvedev
- 3Syria ceasefire more likely to fail than succeed, says Russian FM
- 4Oh là là – does French ruling mean more nude pictures on Facebook?
- 5Catholic and Russian Orthodox leaders end 1000-year standoff
- 1Oh là là – does French ruling mean more nude pictures on Facebook?
- 2Assad says he will take back “whole country” in interview
- 3‘It’s just not true’ – Russia rejects claims that it’s bombing civilians in Syria
- 4Catholic and Russian Orthodox leaders end 1000-year standoff
- 5Gravitational waves offer ‘a new window on the Universe’
- 1‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 2Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 3Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 4One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 5Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Partnering to grow Europe
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 9Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 10‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 11Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 15latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 18French language revolution in France
- 192015 | archives : euronews
- 20Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
Latest world news
Skiving worker ordered to pay 27,000 euros to Spanish employer
Russia and US to boost cooperation to implement Syria ceasefire deal, says Kremlin
Turkish military shells Kurdish-backed positions in Syria for second day
British indie band members reported killed in Sweden car crash
Belgian romantics take plunge in sea to celebrate Valentine’s weekend
Wires > News
- 17:40 CET UAE sentences four to death for joining Islamic State – news agency
- 17:36 CET Huge fire engulfs venue at ‘Make in India’ event
- 17:20 CET Record-setting cold chills U.S. Northeast on Valentine’s Day
- 17:17 CET Civilian casualties in Afghanistan hit record high – U.N.
- 16:42 CET Pope to pray for one of Mexico’s poorest, most violent cities
- 16:39 CET Republicans gear up for U.S. Supreme Court battle after Scalia’s…
- 16:26 CET Obama to Putin: cease air campaign on moderate Syrian opposition -…
- 16:18 CET France’s Sarkozy urges party unity, lags behind popular rival