11/02/14 22:08 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Despite 19 of the EU’s 28 members voting against, American chemicals giants Du Pont and Dow look set to get the seal of approval on growing a strain of genetically modified corn in Europe.
Four member states abstained, while only five approved the crop, but because of the EU’s weighted voting system the European Commission is now obliged to pass it.
“If there is no negative qualified majority against the proposal then the Commission not may, but shall, adopt the proposal,” said the Health and Consumer Policy Commissioner Tonio Borg.
Germany’s Greens were furious at their country’s abstention, as a “no” vote there would have made all the difference.
“Today the Federal government missed an historic opportunity to be a clear voice against genetic engineering in Europe. The approval of genetically modified maize on European soil puts genetically modified food on consumer’s plates. Almost all Germans oppose that,” said the Green’s Simone Peter.
Several GMO crops are already grown in Europe, while others have been refused or withdrawn by their companies, citing consumer resistance to buying the product.
- 1Slovakia attacks EU post-Brexit direction on eve of taking over presidency
- 2Istanbul attack: suspects thought to come from former USSR
- 3Putin rejects new arms race and builds bridges with Turkey
- 4Austria: Constitutional Court rules fresh presidential run-off vote must be held
- 5Critics round on Boris Johnson after Gove wields Brexit knife
Latest world news
Russian and Turkish foreign ministers meet in Sochi
Europe falls silent to commemorate the centenary of the Battle of the Somme
British, US and European bond yields tumble on the prospect of lower interest rates
The National Liberation Army fails to follow in the footsteps of FARC rebels and lay down arms
The UK needs a Brexit prime minister – Gove
Wires > News
- 18:53 CET Putin says Russia to talk to NATO on measures of trust and…
- 18:27 CET Witnessing migrants being rescued at sea
- 18:13 CET Avoid flights over Baltic Sea with transponders off – Finnish…
- 18:08 CET Two suspects in Istanbul attack identified as Russian – Turkish…
- 17:47 CET Three Kenyan police reported held over disappearances, rights…
- 17:26 CET Czech Republic says you can call us Czechia
- 17:17 CET Israel to cut Palestinian tax transfers after West Bank killing
- 17:16 CET Syrian warplane crashes near Damascus, rebels say pilot killed