Hungary’s main Jewish organisation has voted to stay away from official Holocaust commemorations this year unless they more clearly show the role of Hungarians in deporting Jews.
The Federation of Jewish Communities in Hungary, (Mazsihisz), says a planned statue and memorial centre in Budapest play down Hungarian collaboration with the Nazis.
Mazsihisz leader Gusztáv Zoltai was deported to a concentration camp by Hungarian soldiers when he was 8.
“Neither my mother nor my father were put on the wagons by Germans, but by Hungarians who passed them over to the Germans. Of course it is not only about taking responsiblity, but people need to acknowledge that it happened this way, “Zoltai said.
The planned statue would depict Hungary as a victim of German aggression when in fact the country’s wartime fascist government was an ally of Hitler.
Mazsihisz also wants the government to remove the director of a new history institute because he called a 1941 deportation of tens of thousands of Jews “a policy procedure for foreign nationals.”
It will be 70 years since June 1944 when the Nazis occupied Hungary. 437,000 Jews were sent to Nazi death camps within weeks.
The Jewish group is waiting for a promised response from the prime minister this week.
Euronews correspondent in Budapest, Andrea Hajagos, says the issue of the statue has became quite unpleasant for the government, especially now, less than 2 months before the election, as the question of this monument has become one of the main topics in this campaign.
- 1New coin issued to mark Queen’s record reign
- 2Thousands stuck in Budapest as Hungary refuses to allow migrants to travel
- 3Schengen recoil could turn EU travel back 20 years
- 4Migrant crisis: Afghan teenagers rescued from ‘prison cell on wheels’ in Austria
- 5Eurostar suffers severe delays as migrants attempt to block Channel Tunnel
- 1Migrants with tickets denied access to Budapest train station
- 2Satellite images show ISIL destruction in Palmyra
- 3‘No person is illegal’ – Vienna holds rally for refugees
- 4Ukraine: deputies explain for and against the decentralisation law
- 5Hungary’s hardline stance on refugees ‘benefits’ people smugglers
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 13Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 14ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 15Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 16Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Latest world news
Austria: Afghan teenagers rescued from van which had doors welded shut
Hungarian police block refugees and migrants outside Keleti train station
Refugees face legacy of hardship
Suspect arrested after Paris fire kills 8 people including 2 children
Bodrum to Kos latest drownings include children
Wires > News
- 18:42 CET Migrants shut Eurostar trains to UK; dead wash up on Turkish beach
- 18:37 CET Suicide bomber, car bomb hit mosque in Yemeni capital – sources
- 18:35 CET Congo bans documentary about renowned rape trauma surgeon
- 18:27 CET Pakistan air strikes kill at least 31, as offensive continues
- 18:16 CET Car bomb kills 10 in coastal stronghold of Syria’s Assad
- 17:48 CET Insight – Ex-president’s backers in power struggle before Ivory…
- 17:28 CET Greek coast guard seizes Libya-bound ship carrying weapons
- 16:59 CET Former ICC chief prosecutor pushes for Yazidi genocide case