10/02/14 19:51 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Hungary’s main Jewish organisation has voted to stay away from official Holocaust commemorations this year unless they more clearly show the role of Hungarians in deporting Jews.
The Federation of Jewish Communities in Hungary, (Mazsihisz), says a planned statue and memorial centre in Budapest play down Hungarian collaboration with the Nazis.
Mazsihisz leader Gusztáv Zoltai was deported to a concentration camp by Hungarian soldiers when he was 8.
“Neither my mother nor my father were put on the wagons by Germans, but by Hungarians who passed them over to the Germans. Of course it is not only about taking responsiblity, but people need to acknowledge that it happened this way, “Zoltai said.
The planned statue would depict Hungary as a victim of German aggression when in fact the country’s wartime fascist government was an ally of Hitler.
Mazsihisz also wants the government to remove the director of a new history institute because he called a 1941 deportation of tens of thousands of Jews “a policy procedure for foreign nationals.”
It will be 70 years since June 1944 when the Nazis occupied Hungary. 437,000 Jews were sent to Nazi death camps within weeks.
The Jewish group is waiting for a promised response from the prime minister this week.
Euronews correspondent in Budapest, Andrea Hajagos, says the issue of the statue has became quite unpleasant for the government, especially now, less than 2 months before the election, as the question of this monument has become one of the main topics in this campaign.
Latest world news
Kenya burns huge ivory stockpile calling for ban on trade
Hundreds arrested as German anti-immigrant AfD party congress begins
Iraq: al-Sadr supporters storm Baghdad Green Zone and parliament
Sweden celebrates 70th birthday of King Carl XVI Gustaf
Iraq: al Sadr supporters storm Green Zone and parliament
Wires > News
- 20:11 CET Saudi hands over Houthi prisoners as Yemen peace efforts inch…
- 19:49 CET Obama takes final bow at star-studded Washington dinner
- 19:46 CET Aleppo bombed as Syrian army begins ‘calm’ plan elsewhere
- 19:18 CET Egypt puts on trial 237 activists for protests against Sisi -…
- 19:05 CET Germany’s Merkel under attack at anti-immigration rally marred by…
- 17:36 CET Serbian opposition rallies in Belgrade demanding election recount
- 16:57 CET Al Qaeda in Yemen confirms retreat from port city of Mukalla
- 16:55 CET Taiwan DPP condemns latest deportation of Taiwanese to China