07/02/14 01:05 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The President of the International Olympic Committee, Thomas Bach, has officially welcomed Russian President Vladimir Putin to the winter Games.
Both gave speeches at a gala hosting various world leaders and United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon on the eve of the competition’s opening ceremony.
Putin thanked the IOC for its unwavering support in Russia’s bid to host the Olympics.
“The whole world is already anticipating this grand sports event and is feeling the special atmosphere and positive energy,” he said. “Russia is aiming to fulfil its Olympic project to the maximum, doing everything possible to ensure the Sochi Olympics is an unforgettable, bright event. We are sure this will be the case.”
Surveillance was increased in the build-up to the costliest Olympics in history, with threats to disrupt events and suicide bombings in the nearby city of Volgograd heightening security fears.
But that didn’t seem to deter spectators as they arrived to watch the Games which, for the first time in 30 years, began before the opening ceremony took place.
- 1Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 2Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 3Faster internet speeds for Europe from Microsoft and Facebook
- 4Austria launches probe into alleged postal vote irregularities
- 5Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 3Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 4More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 5Ukrainian pilot Savchenko back in Kyiv after 2 years in Russian jail
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
Faster internet speeds for Europe from Microsoft and Facebook
Russia says Savchenko exchange deal was not linked to Minsk accords
Donald Trump wins enough delegates to clinch Republican nomination
Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
Austria launches probe into alleged postal vote irregularities
Wires > News
- 01:31 CET Judge seals all video depositions in Clinton email case -The Hill
- 01:30 CET France sends underwater probes to EgyptAir search zone
- 01:17 CET Panama’s top court seeks extradition of ex-president Martinelli…
- 00:46 CET Pentagon says China aircraft intercept violated 2015 agreement
- 00:25 CET Nigeria minister wants Delta grievances addressed as Chevron…
- 00:20 CET Ivory Coast arrests man suspected of link to Grand Bassam hotel…
- 00:10 CET Guinea Bissau president names Baciro Dja as prime minister
- 00:06 CET Vietnam restricted access to Facebook during Obama visit -…