Israeli police have clashed with ultra-Orthodox Jews angry at cuts in funding to their theological schools and a crackdown on those trying to avoid military service.
Protests were held across the country.
In the southern city of Ashdod, one soldier told the demonstrators what he thought of them.
“I have not seen my wife and my four-month-old baby boy for two weeks,” he shouted. “Join the army. Be a man there, not here!”
Demonstrators were sprayed with water as they danced defiantly in the streets of Ashdod.
A water cannon was also used to disperse a crowd blocking the main road to Jerusalem. In all, some three dozen people were arrested.
Military service is compulsory for most Israelis.
The government has backed moves to end a practice which has exempted tens of thousands of ultra-Orthodox Jews who were in full-time religious study.
New legislation has not been completed but authorities are toughening enforcement of the existing law.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Palestinian leadership halts security ties with Israel
- 2LaGuardia runway in ‘good condition’ before Delta Airlines crash-land
- 3South Korea: Man arrested after knife attack on US ambassador
- 4Harrison Ford ‘battered but OK’ after crash landing plane
- 5Ukraine crisis tops agenda in Renzi’s first official visit to Moscow
- 1Iraq intensifies assault on ISIL stronghold, Tikrit
- 2South Korea: Man arrested after knife attack on US ambassador
- 3[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330
- 4The recovery of bodies goes on after Donetsk mine blast
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 1Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 2‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 3Iraq intensifies assault on ISIL stronghold, Tikrit
- 4[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330
- 5South Korea: Man arrested after knife attack on US ambassador
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6International news | euronews, latest international news
- 7English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 8Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 9Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 12euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 13London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 14‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 15[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330 | euronews, world news
- 16Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 17European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 18Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 19Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 20Exclusive: Sudan’s Bashir on ISIL, Darfur and accusations of genocide and war crimes | euronews, the global conversation
Wires > News
- 11:27 CET After battle, frostbite in the ruins of Ukraine’s Donetsk
- 11:14 CET Tunisian troops find large arms cache near Libya border
- 11:12 CET Vocal critic of Tajik president shot dead in Istanbul
- 10:55 CET Britain – EU to prepare possible new sanctions on Russia over…
- 10:54 CET Malaysia Airlines upgrades aircraft tracking, a year after MH370
- 10:48 CET Thai panel drops plan to ban junta from politics for two years
- 10:46 CET Kremlin critic Navalny walks out of Moscow jail
- 10:22 CET Top US diplomat cautious on sending arms to Ukraine