Israeli police have clashed with ultra-Orthodox Jews angry at cuts in funding to their theological schools and a crackdown on those trying to avoid military service.
Protests were held across the country.
In the southern city of Ashdod, one soldier told the demonstrators what he thought of them.
“I have not seen my wife and my four-month-old baby boy for two weeks,” he shouted. “Join the army. Be a man there, not here!”
Demonstrators were sprayed with water as they danced defiantly in the streets of Ashdod.
A water cannon was also used to disperse a crowd blocking the main road to Jerusalem. In all, some three dozen people were arrested.
Military service is compulsory for most Israelis.
The government has backed moves to end a practice which has exempted tens of thousands of ultra-Orthodox Jews who were in full-time religious study.
New legislation has not been completed but authorities are toughening enforcement of the existing law.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 5Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 9Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13International news | euronews, latest international news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 16Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 20Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
Wires > News
- 22:00 CET Israeli air strike kills four planting bomb at Syria frontier -…
- 20:59 CET Togo election peaceful, with turnout low, observers say
- 20:32 CET U.S., allies conduct air strikes in Syria, Iraq – U.S. military
- 19:51 CET Benin president denies third term bid as vote proceeds
- 19:25 CET U.S. mulls ransom policy for families of overseas hostages – ABC TV
- 19:19 CET Leftist Akinci wins north Cyprus election, seeking peace deal
- 19:18 CET Saudi military plane crashes during training
- 18:04 CET Syrian jets pound insurgent-held town – monitor