06/02/14 00:47 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Is Sochi ready to stage the Games?
As competitors and tourists began arriving for the Winter Olympics, some were greeted by the sight of workmen still hammering, sanding and soldering.
Several journalists staying in Sochi’s media village said they had been turned away from unfinished hotels or had to check into unfinished rooms.
French journalist Damien Burnier from Le Journal de Dimanche spoke about his experience: “We’re a little lonely and isolated, I don’t see any supermarket and to find any shops I think you have to take the lift. It is a little bit complicated, I am a little bit lost,” he mused.
While the organisers have dismissed the problems as “teething troubles” some tourists are less than happy.
Eva Hain, a tourist from Heiligenkreuz in Austria said: “Three days before my departure, I was told that my hotel will remain closed until February 7, that I will be re-booked into two other hotels, of which the first one was just a boarding house.”
But the Russians are confident all will be well for Friday’s grand opening. The International Olympic Committee has backed them up saying all 24,000 rooms for the Games had been delivered so competitors can focus on the real matter in hand.
The Russian government has spent the equivalent of around 38 billion euros on the Olympics in the hope of turning the Black Sea summer resort into a year-round tourism destination.
- 1Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 2Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 3Austria launches probe into alleged postal vote irregularities
- 4Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 5Faster internet speeds for Europe from Microsoft and Facebook
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 3Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 4More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 5Ukrainian pilot Savchenko back in Kyiv after 2 years in Russian jail
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
Greek police clear Idomeni camp
Faster internet speeds for Europe from Microsoft and Facebook
Russia says Savchenko exchange deal was not linked to Minsk accords
Donald Trump wins enough delegates to clinch Republican nomination
Wires > News
- 04:12 CET After sea spat, China pledges deeper defence ties with Indonesia
- 04:08 CET El Salvador Congress approves $152 million bond issue to tackle…
- 04:01 CET Missing journalists held captive by Colombia’s ELN rebels -…
- 03:58 CET As ties deepen, elite U.S., Vietnam forces eye possible opening
- 03:20 CET South Korea fires warning shots after boats from North cross sea…
- 01:31 CET Judge seals all video depositions in Clinton email case -The Hill
- 01:30 CET France sends underwater probes to EgyptAir search zone
- 01:17 CET Panama’s top court seeks extradition of ex-president Martinelli…