The Vatican has been urged to “immediately remove” all clergy from the Catholic Church who are known or suspected child abusers.
The demand comes in an unprecedented and scathing report by the United Nations’ Committee on the Rights of the Child.
It accuses church officials of imposing a so-called code of silence to cover up crimes.
The head of the committee, Kirsten Sandberg, said: “The main finding of the committee was that the Holy See has adopted policies and practices which have led to the continuation of the abuse by the perpetrators.”
The UN also calls on the Holy See to hand over to local authorities an archive of evidence about the abuse of tens of thousands of children, and take measures to prevent a repeat.
The exceptionally blunt report followed the UN committee’s public grilling of Vatican officials last month.
The Vatican, responding to the report, said the Roman Catholic Church was committed to “defending and protecting the rights of the child”.
A statement said the Vatican would submit the UN report to “thorough study and examination”.
But the main focus of the response was on the report’s criticism of the Catholic Church’s positions on homosexuality, contraception and abortion.
Archbishop Silvano Tomasi, head of the Holy See’s delegation to the United Nations in Geneva, told Vatican Radio that the world body cannot ask the Church to change its “non-negotiable” moral teachings.
He said non-governmental organisations which favour gay marriage probably influenced the UN Committee on the Rights of the Child to reinforce an “ideological line” in the report.
Pope Francis has called sexual abuse of children “the shame of the Church” and has vowed to continue procedures put in place by his predecessor Benedict XVI.
The UN said a commission the pontiff created in December should invite outside experts and victims to participate in an investigation of abusers “as well as the conduct of the Catholic hierarchy in dealing with them.”
- 1Merkel: no talks on new Greece bailout deal until after referendum
- 2UPDATE Egypt: Islamist militants affiliated to ISIL claim deadly Sinai attacks
- 3Ku Klux Klan set for Confederate flag rally as black church fires probed
- 4What is the market price of valour for Greece?
- 5Europe will wait for the results of the Greek referendum
- 1Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
- 2Eurogroup ministers to discuss new Greece aid proposal
- 3Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 4The end of the road for Uber? Executives detained by French police
- 5Miss Universe turns ugly for Trump as US TV network cut ties with presidential candidate
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 7Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 8Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 9Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 10Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 15Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
Wires > News
- 02:24 CET Images show Chinese airstrip on man-made Spratly island nearly…
- 00:50 CET Britain, Russia at odds over U.N. Srebrenica genocide commemoration
- 00:18 CET More than 100 dead as militants, Egyptian army clash in North Sinai
- 23:55 CET Migrant trafficker jailed for 18 years for 2013 shipwreck off Italy
- 23:20 CET Congo Republic leader calls for national dialogue, with term…
- 23:10 CET Fleeing a crisis, Greek migrants flock back to Australia
- 22:27 CET Mexico supreme court judge urges states to legalize gay marriage
- 22:23 CET U.N. Security council blacklists six rival South Sudan generals