Three former executives from Anglo Irish Bank have gone on trial in Dublin.
It is the first such case since the financial crisis that forced the Irish government to accept an eighty five billion euro international bailout.
Sean FitzPatrick – the bank’s former chairman and chief executive – along with former chief financial officer Pat Whelan and former finance director William McAteer deny charges that they provided unlawful financial assistance.
Prosecutors said they lent money to a number of investors, businessmen and their families to buy the bank’s shares, thereby boosting the price of those shares.
The extremely complicated trial is expected to last three to four months, with as many as 100 witnesses due to give evidence.
- 1Former Greek finance minister confirms there was a secret ‘Grexit’ plan
- 2Fiat Chrysler recall 1.4 million vehicles in the US over hacking fears
- 3Golden shot: China shocks the commodities market with reserves revelation
- 4Chinese markets in free fall
- 5Microsoft reports biggest loss in history of company
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 19Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Wires > Business
- 01:20 CET Facebook profit falls nine percent as costs soar
- 23:36 CET Merchants seek to void $6 billion Visa, MasterCard, AmEx…
- 22:28 CET Exclusive – FCA’s Chrysler group faces U.S. product drought…
- 21:07 CET MasterCard’s revenue misses estimates on higher incentives
- 20:36 CET New Bank of England rate-setter to keep interest in hedge fund
- 20:19 CET Exclusive – GSK faces new corruption allegations, this time in…
- 18:53 CET UK mortgage lending jumps in June, business lending plunges
- 18:13 CET Volkswagen lowers sales goal as China growth slows down