Three former executives from Anglo Irish Bank have gone on trial in Dublin.
It is the first such case since the financial crisis that forced the Irish government to accept an eighty five billion euro international bailout.
Sean FitzPatrick – the bank’s former chairman and chief executive – along with former chief financial officer Pat Whelan and former finance director William McAteer deny charges that they provided unlawful financial assistance.
Prosecutors said they lent money to a number of investors, businessmen and their families to buy the bank’s shares, thereby boosting the price of those shares.
The extremely complicated trial is expected to last three to four months, with as many as 100 witnesses due to give evidence.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 8Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 9UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Artist pays tribute to Aylan Kurdi and Good Samaritan
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > Business
- 11:57 CET China’s CEFC adds to Czech buying spree with airline, brewery deals
- 11:38 CET G20 sees need to ‘double down’ against devaluation – U.S. Treasury…
- 11:33 CET Vivendi CEO does not rule out raising stake in Telefonica
- 05:54 CET Japan may exempt food, drinks from sales tax hike – sources
- 02:23 CET EU executive to broadly keep EU’s 2015 growth forecast
- 02:22 CET Wall St. banks shift odds on rate hike to year-end
- 02:17 CET Nomura, RBS liability in U.S. mortgage bond case upped to $839…
- 01:46 CET IMF official warms to interim deal to boost emerging markets role