Three former executives from Anglo Irish Bank have gone on trial in Dublin.
It is the first such case since the financial crisis that forced the Irish government to accept an eighty five billion euro international bailout.
Sean FitzPatrick – the bank’s former chairman and chief executive – along with former chief financial officer Pat Whelan and former finance director William McAteer deny charges that they provided unlawful financial assistance.
Prosecutors said they lent money to a number of investors, businessmen and their families to buy the bank’s shares, thereby boosting the price of those shares.
The extremely complicated trial is expected to last three to four months, with as many as 100 witnesses due to give evidence.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 12How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 15Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 16euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 18US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 19euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > Business
- 15:08 CET Tesco accounting black hole deepens, chairman to step down
- 14:39 CET UK fraud prosecutor seeks more cash for big cases
- 14:32 CET UK’s rebounding economy sees slowing industrial orders, retail…
- 14:31 CET Engine parts supplier questions case for Airbus A380 upgrade
- 14:29 CET Engine parts supplier questions case for Airbus A380 upgrade
- 13:30 CET Unilever promises more cheap goods, cost cuts to tackle slowdown
- 13:16 CET Old Mutual, Henderson to merge two property funds
- 13:06 CET Old Mutual, Henderson to merge two property funds