04/02/14 12:27 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A fisherman who claims to have been lost after a storm at sea for more than a year has been giving more details about his experience.
Jose Salvador Alvarenga, who is 37 and thought to be from El Salvador, washed ashore last week on the remote Marshall Islands in the Pacific.
Having set off from Mexico in December 2012, he says he survived for 14 months by drinking turtle blood and catching fish and birds with his bare hands.
He was found some 10,000 kilometres away in a disorientated state in his 7.3-metre fibreglass boat.
While some doubt his account of what happened, his family are hailing his return as a miracle.
His sister Yanira Bonilla said: “My mother would always say ‘daughter, he is not dead’ and then I would say to her ‘mami, don’t get your hopes up’. And then she told me ‘no, but I feel that he is alive’. Now I can see and prove that a mother is never wrong.”
José‘s brother, Carlos Albarenga said: “It had a big impact. I was left speechless. I am very happy and very grateful to God and to the people who rescued my brother. I don’t have enough words or gestures to thank them enough for everything they are doing for him.”
According to authorities, Alvarenga set sail with a younger fisherman but the teenager died a month into their ordeal.
“It was supposed to be a one-day shark expedition, but they were blown off course by the northern winds,” Thomas Armbruster, the US Ambassador to the Marshall Islands, told the media.
- 1Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 2US: Cars parked on frozen lake rescued after ice cracks
- 3Pegida fails to ignite as Europe-wide anti-Muslim protests fizzle
- 4One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 5S Korea denounces N Korea rocket launch as ‘unacceptable provocation’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 6Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 8Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 9Partnering to grow Europe
- 10Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 13Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 16Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 17Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 18latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
Latest world news
33 migrants killed as two boats capsize off Turkey’s Aegean coast
Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
Taiwan: more survivors are pulled from the rubble
US election: New Hampshire gears up for first presidential primary
Thousands of Syrians stranded in ‘desperate situation’ on Turkish border
Wires > News
- 13:02 CET Lawyers see limited legal options for workers sent in Zika’s way
- 12:47 CET IS forced to cut fighters’ pay 50 percent because of airstrikes…
- 12:44 CET EU drugs agency sets up Zika task force to speed vaccine work
- 12:20 CET Before New Hampshire primary, Trump campaign shows mellower side
- 12:19 CET Russia says arrests seven Islamic State militants over attack plot
- 12:07 CET Spanish grave opened on order of Argentine judge unearths painful…
- 11:08 CET North Korea rocket launch may spur U.S. missile defence buildup in…
- 11:06 CET Somalia plane bomber was meant to be on Turkish flight – airline…