The EU has said it will not engage in a bidding war with Russia over Ukraine.
Moscow pledged 11 billion euros of aid to the cash-strapped former Soviet state after the Ukrainian government pulled out an EU trade deal in November.
European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso told reporters: “We are not going to a bidding competition to say who pays more for a signature of Ukraine.”
Barroso’s statement came amid reports that Brussels and Washington may be poised to put forward some form of aid package to cash-strapped Ukraine.
EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton is expected in Kyiv on Tuesday for talks with government and opposition leaders.
Ukrainian Foreign Minister Leonid Kozhara has indicated that the government is open to some reform: “We can discuss some changes in the form of administration, and President Yanukovych confirmed that he is ready to discuss those, like changing a form of the administration from the presidential republic to a parliamentary-presidential one.”
- 1G7 says ‘global growth is our urgent priority’
- 2Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 3Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 4New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
- 5French labour reform action threatens to disrupt Euro 2016 fans
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Wires > News
- 13:13 CET Singapore charges six Bangladeshi men with terrorism financing
- 13:12 CET Iran’s uranium stockpile within limit set by nuclear deal – IAEA
- 13:10 CET No new signal from EgyptAir jet since day of crash as search…
- 12:01 CET French fuel blockade lifted, Hollande says won’t let protesters…
- 11:59 CET U.N. urges Greece to improve poor living conditions for refugees
- 11:57 CET Philippine arrests 10 Chinese fishermen in latest sea spat
- 11:56 CET U.S. is ‘two-faced’ if it does not see Syrian Kurdish YPG as…
- 11:39 CET Nigeria militants blow up gas, oil pipelines – community leader