Close
Log in
Please enter your login details

Skip to main content

Breaking News
  • A member of Russian President Vladimir Putin’s human rights advisory council says she considers Russia’s actions in Ukraine an invasion – REUTERS
  • Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko says Russian military invasion has taken place in Ukraine, cancels working trip to Turkey – Presidential website
  • Ebola death toll: WHO says the Ebola outbreak in West Africa has taken 1,552 lives out of 3,069 known cases in four countries. Says actual number of cases may be “two-to four-fold higher than currently reported” – REUTERS
  • Ukraine: Rebel leader Zakharchenko says around 3,000 volunteers from Russia are serving in rebel ranks. Says rebels can defeat Ukrainian military without help from Russian state – REUTERS
  • Ebola: Doctor in Nigerian oil industry hub Port Harcourt dies from Ebola virus, infected by a man linked to the first case who evaded quarantine – Nigerian Health Ministry
Ukraine government says ‘tortured’ activist Dmytro Bulatov is both victim and suspect
close share panel

Share this article

Twitter Facebook
| Share this article
|

The Ukrainian authorities want to put injured activist Dmytro Bulatov, currently being treated in hospital in Kyiv, under house arrest.

He has been moved to intensive care after police reportedly tried to remove him.

The 35-year-old has had surgery after claiming he had been abducted and held captive, beaten and tortured.

The Interior Ministry has issued a wanted notice, saying it considers him both a victim of kidnapping and a suspect in organising mass disorder.

“Despite the fact that there is not a single spot on my body that doesn’t hurt; despite the fact that my face was cut and they threatened to prick one of my eyes, they cut off a piece of my ear, crucified me, nailing me to a door, and beat me viciously at the same time, I had a sack on my head – despite all of these things and other cruel torture as well, I want to say that we won’t be intimidated, and nothing will stop us,” Bulatov said from his hospital bed.

The activist was one of the leaders of anti-government protest motorcades called “Auto-Maidan”, in which scores of cars would drive to the homes of Ukrainian leaders. He was reported missing on January 23 and resurfaced last Thursday in the woods outside a village.

The authorities have suggested the activist’s disappearance might have been a deliberate ploy by the protest movement to inflame an already highly tense situation in the country.

The opposition talk of death squads operating in Ukraine and want an international investigation.

Outside the hospital, former Independent MP Taras Chornovil said there was enough evidence, in Bulatov’s case and those of others, for the International Court of Justice to mount a prosecution.

Bulatov’s supporters are organising round-the-clock protection for the activist and have asked police to hold back.

Ukraine’s anti-government protests began in November after President Yanokovych ditched a planned accord with the EU, instead turning to Russia for economic aid.

The president has ordered the repeal of a new law restricting protests, agreed to an amnesty for protesters and accepted the resignation of members of his cabinet. Yet despite the concessions, mistrust on both sides appears higher than ever.

Copyright © 2014 euronews

More about:
| Share this article
|