31/01/14 19:52 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The hospital where activist Dmytro Bulatov is recovering from his injuries has become the latest focus of the unrest in Kyiv. His supporters are defying the authorities and say his claims of torture are genuine and must be acted on.
“He was beaten, tortured and crucified. His hands were nailed. He was interrogated and continually asked, ‘Who is behind automaidan, who is financing automaidan?’ “ explained fellow activist Andriy Telizhenko..
At the capital’s airport the leader of one of the opposition parties – on his way to the security conference in Munich believes Bulatov’s alleged abduction is evidence of death squads.
“We will insist in Munich on starting an international investigation into all the facts of murders, abuse, torture, kidnapping of people and those incidents where journalists were targeted and shot at. Recent events with Dmytro Bulatov are evidence of the facts there are now death squads in Ukraine, like in Latin America,” said Arsenyi Yatsenyuk, leader of the Fatherland Party.
The arrest warrants for Bulatov and two other activists came on the day the amnesty for detained protesters and the repeal of the anti-protest legislation was signed into law.
Latest world news
Germany’s AfD party adopts anti-Islam manifesto
Baghdad protesters leave Green Zone but vow to keep up pressure over corruption
National issues highlighted in Europe’s May Day rallies
From Jerusalem to Damascus to Moscow, Orthodox Christians celebrate Easter
Brussels airport departure hall reopens after terror attacks
Wires > News
- 04:25 CET Egyptian police raid press syndicate, arrest two journalists
- 03:32 CET Wary of China’s Indian Ocean activities, U.S., India discuss…
- 03:12 CET Brazil’s Rousseff ups social spending as Senate ruling looms
- 03:08 CET Pope condemns paedophilia as details of girl’s death shock Italy
- 00:46 CET Puerto Rico declares moratorium on Government Development Bank’s…
- 23:05 CET Islamic State boosts attacks in response to territorial losses -…
- 22:43 CET French far-right veteran Le Pen predicts daughter’s failure in…
- 21:49 CET Bomb attack in southeast Turkey wounds 10 troops, Kurdish…