29/01/14 22:10 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Demonstrators staged a protest outside the Spanish Embassy in Brussels. Organisers said there was a crowd of over 2,000 to show their opposition to proposals to reform the abortion law in Spain.
The new measures which the conservative government has approved will outlaw abortion except in certain cases where a woman’s health is at risk.
“This law doesn’t respect the minimum rights that other laws in Europe do. This law treats women like we are minors,” said one demonstrator while another added: “What we are asking the Spanish government today is to review the bill that it intends to make law to ensure the right to abortion isn’t restricted as it is in the proposal.”
The protesters marched from the embassy to the European Parliament in an attempt to get Spanish MEPs to put pressure on their government. The march attracted activists from beyond Spain.
“I’m here today because we have a very similar situation in Lithuania, currently in the parliament there is an abortion ban bill being decided,” said Lina Vospliute from Lithuania.
A further demonstration is planned in front of the Spanish Embassy in Paris on Saturday which the protesters are calling ‘The World March of Women’.
It’s not clear when the new law will be put before parliament where Mariano Rajoy’s Popular Party has an absolute majority.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
Latest world news
Aleppo – hopes a truce is only “hours away”
TTIP: French president Hollande says France will say no to EU-US trade deal “at this stage”
Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Spain arrests four men allegedly behind on-line Islamist Radicalisation plot
Probe indicates falsified documents in Flamanville nuclear plant construction
Wires > News
- 16:00 CET Canadian ordered out of Nepal after criticising government on…
- 15:49 CET Fatal helicopter crash off Norway due technical error -…
- 15:43 CET Rebel rockets kill 19 in Aleppo, hit hospital – monitor
- 15:43 CET German comedian says Merkel ‘served me up for tea’ to Turkey
- 15:31 CET After brawl, Turkish parliament committee votes to lift lawmakers‘…
- 15:11 CET Baby pulled out alive three days after collapse of Kenya building
- 15:01 CET U.S. tells Pakistan it will have to fund F-16s itself
- 14:57 CET Islamic State kills U.S. serviceman in Iraq