The extreme weather conditions battering the south east of Romania have not eased.
In Bucharest transport links were paralysed. Authorities said 160 trains were cancelled. Schools have remained shut and over 5,000 power failures have been reported.
The port of Contanta has been closed due to the storms. Weather forecasters have warned there is more to come.
“We anticipate widespread gales with winds exceeding 80 kilometres per hour and a steady layer of snow forming on top of the existing one which is over 40 centimetres,” said Florineal Georgescu who is the executive director of the National Administration of Meteorology.
It has issued a Red Code warning – the most severe – in six areas in the south east. It’s the first time it has been used.
Many villages have been cut off with snow ploughs helpless to clear a way through the drifts. The fierce winds have made helicopter flights impossible.
Around 5,000 troops have been drafted in to help remove the snow.
- 1At least 400 killed by ISIL in Palmyra – Syrian TV
- 2Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 3Poland’s Komorowski concedes defeat to rival Duda in presidential poll
- 4Russia introduces a new law against “undesirable” NGOs
- 5Ukrainian separatist warlord dies in bomb blast
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 10Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
Wires > News
- 10:25 CET China lodges complaint with U.S. over spy plane flight
- 10:16 CET Only Iran is confronting Islamic State, paramilitary chief says
- 10:01 CET Sydney siege gunman too ‘weird’ for Australian motorcycle gang…
- 09:51 CET Syrian air force targets captured Palmyra city – monitor
- 09:48 CET Bangladesh arrests two suspected Islamic State activists
- 09:07 CET Analysis – Portugal, like Europe, loses hunger for reform
- 08:11 CET Eastern Japan shaken by 5.6 magnitude quake, no tsunami warning
- 05:32 CET Indonesia’s military creeps back into civilian affairs