29/01/14 19:10 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The extreme weather conditions battering the south east of Romania have not eased.
In Bucharest transport links were paralysed. Authorities said 160 trains were cancelled. Schools have remained shut and over 5,000 power failures have been reported.
The port of Contanta has been closed due to the storms. Weather forecasters have warned there is more to come.
“We anticipate widespread gales with winds exceeding 80 kilometres per hour and a steady layer of snow forming on top of the existing one which is over 40 centimetres,” said Florineal Georgescu who is the executive director of the National Administration of Meteorology.
It has issued a Red Code warning – the most severe – in six areas in the south east. It’s the first time it has been used.
Many villages have been cut off with snow ploughs helpless to clear a way through the drifts. The fierce winds have made helicopter flights impossible.
Around 5,000 troops have been drafted in to help remove the snow.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Partnering to grow Europe
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 15Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 18smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Meet Bernie Sanders, the democratic socialist who wants to be US president
Latest world news
Taiwan: at least 8 killed as earthquake brings down several buildings
US primaries: Trump leading Republican pack, Sanders gaining on Clinton
Brazil carnival opens, amid growing Zika fears
At least five dead as powerful quake hits southern Taiwan
Former soldier stoned to death in Haiti clashes
Wires > News
- 14:20 CET Explosion kills eight, injures dozens in Pakistan city of Quetta
- 14:12 CET Taiwan quake kills at least 12, fells apartment block
- 13:35 CET British member of Vatican sexual abuse commission leaves
- 13:18 CET Australia to step up Zika testing as two new cases reported
- 13:07 CET Syria signals no ceasefire before borders with Turkey, Jordan shut
- 12:30 CET Nigerians have image problem abroad, hampers emigration to West -…
- 12:27 CET Merkel urges better protection of EU external borders
- 11:24 CET Three British troops injured in covert operation in Iraq – Mirror