28/01/14 13:03 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The Ukrainian parliament has delayed a vote on an amnesty law which would free protesters detained or arrested during the last two months of unrest.
Parliament will now be closed until Wednesday morning, with negotiations over the detail of the law still ongoing between party leaders and the parliamentary speaker.
Earlier, the ruling Party of Regions asked the opposition to clear the Maidan protests and leave any occupied government buildings as a compromise gesture.
The opposition refused, saying they would only do so when imprisoned activists were freed.
The opposition has called all activists to Independence Square, also known as Maidan, for 18h Ukrainian time (17h CET), to hear what the government has offered and to make a collective decision on how to respond.
Meanwhile President Yanukovych has accepted the resignation of the Prime Minister Azarov, offered earlier today. Under the Ukrainian constitution this means the whole government has now resigned.
The government will continue as a caretaker government until new ministers are appointed. However Azarov will not continue as caretaker prime minister. He will be replaced by Deputy Prime Minister Sergei Arbuzov.
Latest world news
‘I dream of a Europe where being a migrant is not a crime’ – Pope receives Charlemagne Prize
SNP claims third win in Scotland as Labour suffers in UK elections
UN official calls for inquiry into air strike on Syria refugee camp
Canada: Alberta wildfire threatens communities south of Fort McMurray
Syria: Russian orchestra holds concert in Palmyra ruins
Wires > News
- 14:51 CET Security forces shut down Baghdad to prevent Green Zone protests
- 14:34 CET Heliopters, trucks set to remove thousands north of Canadian…
- 14:06 CET Philippine court halts rare TV attack ad showing kids against…
- 14:04 CET Hamas says does not want war but will not allow Israeli incursions
- 14:00 CET Podemos seen losing support ahead of Spanish election
- 13:59 CET Hundreds protest restart of China-backed copper mine in Myanmar
- 13:57 CET Saudi policeman shot dead in Mecca area after Islamic State raid -…
- 13:54 CET Philippine president urges ‘united front’ against maverick…