Anna lives in Kyiv and every day, after work she goes shopping. She buys staples like coffee, tea, sugar, milk and tinned meat.
Then she takes her shopping to one of the field kitchens which have sprung up around the city to feed the protesters, like the one is in Independence Square. These kitchens supply free meals to whoever needs them.
Anna says she can’t join the protesters at the barricades, but this is her way of helping, and showing solidarity.
00.29 SOT: Anna, Kiev resident: “I cannot be apathetic, because I live in Kyiv. I look through special websites to find out what the protesters need. People live here and they need our support.”
But not everyone shares her opinion. In fact, some people see things entirely differently.
Viktor, a caretaker living nearby said: “There is noise, and smoke! It’s impossible to live here! I’m against chaos! If you want to hold a rally, please, hold a rally, but don’t bother other people!”
Another Kyiv resident said: “Everything’s OK. People are fighting for their rights. And that’s good. They don’t bother me at all.”
As well as field kitchens, there are tents, portable lavatories, a giant stage, a first aid tent and even the services of a psychologist…
Latest world news
Public sector strike heightens industrial strife in Belgium
Migrant death toll in Mediterranean over past week ‘rises to 880’
EgyptAir crash: doomed plane’s distress signal ‘picked up by satellites’
World No Tobacco Day: Plain packaging push to help smokers kick the habit
Brazil anti-corruption minister quits after ‘trying to spoil’ corruption probe
Wires > News
- 15:38 CET Italy arrests 16 suspected boat migrant traffickers
- 15:32 CET Almost 46 million people trapped in slavery with North Korea…
- 15:25 CET More Germans now moving from West to East
- 15:23 CET EU ships in Libyan waters would undermine Tripoli government -…
- 15:10 CET Former Miss Turkey sentenced to 14-months jail for insulting…
- 15:02 CET German minister says shouldn’t discuss ‘fantasy proposals’ for…
- 14:48 CET With Africa trip, Turkey’s Erdogan aims to quash influence of…
- 14:39 CET Bahrain court orders activist freed on humanitarian grounds