Anna lives in Kyiv and every day, after work she goes shopping. She buys staples like coffee, tea, sugar, milk and tinned meat.
Then she takes her shopping to one of the field kitchens which have sprung up around the city to feed the protesters, like the one is in Independence Square. These kitchens supply free meals to whoever needs them.
Anna says she can’t join the protesters at the barricades, but this is her way of helping, and showing solidarity.
00.29 SOT: Anna, Kiev resident: “I cannot be apathetic, because I live in Kyiv. I look through special websites to find out what the protesters need. People live here and they need our support.”
But not everyone shares her opinion. In fact, some people see things entirely differently.
Viktor, a caretaker living nearby said: “There is noise, and smoke! It’s impossible to live here! I’m against chaos! If you want to hold a rally, please, hold a rally, but don’t bother other people!”
Another Kyiv resident said: “Everything’s OK. People are fighting for their rights. And that’s good. They don’t bother me at all.”
As well as field kitchens, there are tents, portable lavatories, a giant stage, a first aid tent and even the services of a psychologist…
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 5‘Misleading at best and flat out wrong at worst’ US reacts to Greenpeace TTIP leak
Latest world news
Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
Reckitt Benckiser apologises over South Korea deadly disinfectant
US cruise ship docks in Havana over 40 years since the last sailed the Florida Straits
Wires > News
- 01:41 CET Brazil prosecutor asks for probe of opposition leader Neves
- 01:20 CET Emotional return as first U.S. cruise in decades reaches Cuba
- 00:30 CET Obama says Chinese-led trade deal shows need for TPP – Washington…
- 00:29 CET U.S. says Iraq’s PM in ‘strong position’ amid political unrest
- 00:24 CET NATO weighs four battalions in Eastern states to deter Russia -…
- 00:17 CET Argentine court probes ex-president Fernandez over new case – media
- 23:04 CET U.S. tells Pakistan it will have to fund F-16s itself
- 22:14 CET Leader of Canada’s separatist Parti Quebecois steps down