Egypt’s capital city was reeling on Friday after three bomb attacks which left at least five dead and more than a hundred wounded.
Early in the morning, Cairo’s central police headquarters was rocked by a huge explosion when a suicide car bomber blew himself up in the car park of the security compound.
It killed four people, three of them policemen, and injured more than 90.
Egyptian state television quoted witnesses as saying that gunmen on motorbikes opened fire after the blast.
The large concrete building was left badly damaged with debris strewn across the street.
Hours later, another attack killed a police officer and injured more than a dozen when, according to security sources, a person drove past military vehicles throwing a hand grenade at them.
There was also a third blast close to a police station in Giza, a district on the outskirts of Cairo. No casualties have been reported there so far
An al-Qaeda-inspired militant group, Ansar Beit al-Maqdis, has claimed responsibility for the attack on the police headquarters.
The Muslim Brotherhood condemned the attack saying they wanted a “peaceful revolution”.
Euronews correspondent in Cairo, Mohammed Shaikhibrahim, says the attack sends several messages to the current government, including that this kind of attack can reach the heart of Cairo.
The three bomb attacks come just one day before the third anniversary of the January 25th revolution when Egypt’s former dictator Hosni Mubarak was overthrown. They also come on the eve of a planned general uprising by the Muslim Brotherhood.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.