There has been mixed news on Cyprus’s economy.
The Mediterranean island’s finance ministry says GDP likely shrank by 5.5 percent last year but that was better than the previously forecast, which was that it would decline 7.7 percent.
Resilient private consumption and solid tourism numbers played a big part.
Cyprus needed a 10 billion euros bailout from the European Commission and the IMF to avoid going bankrupt.
The Finance Ministry did not give any projections for 2014, but did say the economy still faces challenges amid a weak growth outlook.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 5Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 6Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 7New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 83D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 9Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 10Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 11Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 12Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 13Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
- 14Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 15EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 16British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 17Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 18The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 19Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 20#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
Wires > Business
- 01:07 CET JPMorgan to face U.S. class action in $10 billion MBS case
- 01:01 CET Analysis – Ford’s rosy 2020 outlook hinges on new F-150, Lincoln
- 23:27 CET EBay follows Icahn’s advice, plans PayPal spinoff in 2015
- 23:04 CET EBay follows Icahn’s advice, plans PayPal spinoff in 2015
- 22:41 CET Dollar gain hits commodities; stocks drop for quarter
- 22:20 CET Italy pushes back structural budget goal as recession bites
- 22:12 CET Ex-Barclays traders facing UK Libor charges sue bank in New York
- 22:10 CET SEC charges two with insider trading on Ackman’s bet on Herbalife