21/01/14 14:45 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
An Italian heiress has been accused of hiding more than a thousand real estate properties with a combined worth of more than two billion euros from Italian tax authorities.
According to reports in the Italian media, Angiola Armellini was an official resident of Monaco between 1999 and 2010. However, during that time she very rarely left Rome, where the great majority of her properties, including three luxurious hotels, happen to be located.
Italian daily Corriere della Sera claims socialite Armellini has used several countries, including Monaco, Luxembourg, Switzerland, New Zealand, Jersey and the Bahamas, to manage her assets far from the Italian tax authorities’ eyes.
Public Prosecutors in Rome have charged Armellini, designated “de facto property manager”, and eleven of her associates with tax avoidance.
Italian justice officials are demanding that she pays 17 million euros in real estate and property back taxes.
In 1996, the heir and her then-husband Alessandro Mei was involved in a fraudulent bankruptcy worth some 200 billion Italian lire, approximately 100 million euros.
Angiola Armellini is the daughter of construction tycoon Renato Armellini, who died in 1993 and was famous for having been kidnapped by the Calabrese mafia. He made his fortune in the 1970s Italian economic boom by building numerous flats in and around Rome.
Idomeni: Before and after (photos)
The UK and the EU part 1: Je t’aime, moi non plus…
The Gotthard Base Tunnel, a project of unprecedented scale
South African firefighters arrive in Canada to help tackle Fort McMurray wildfire
Gorilla shot dead after playing with toddler who fell into enclosure
Wires > News
- 04:55 CET Peru’s Fujimori would hike corporate taxes, widen fiscal gap…
- 04:08 CET EU hate speech deal shows mounting pressures over internet content…
- 04:02 CET Airbus says EgyptAir strengthens case for ejectable ‘black boxes’
- 03:19 CET Leader of Western Sahara independence movement dies after illness
- 02:27 CET Four dead in collapse at South Korea subway construction site
- 02:08 CET Japan PM to postpone sales tax rise, snap election off table for…
- 01:32 CET As Beijing flexes muscles in South China Sea, Malaysia eyes harder…
- 01:18 CET Combative Trump says he raised $5.6 million for vets, bashes media