20/01/14 11:10 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A stark and brutal threat to attack the Sochi Olympics has been issued by two men claiming on a video to represent an Islamic militant group.
In the warning directed at Russian President Vladimir Putin they say if the Games go ahead there will be, “a present for him and all tourists”.
It will, they add be in revenge for all the Muslim blood that is shed every day around the world.
The group claims it was behind the two suicide bombs in which at least 34 people were killed last month. A station and bus were targeted in the city of Volgograd in the attacks.
Two men called Suleiman and Abdurakhman claimed responsibility and were acting on behalf of a group known as Vilyat Dagestan which is linked to an Iraqi extremist faction called Ansar al-Sunna the video, which was posted on a social network site said.
The Games host city of Sochi lies on the western edge of the Caucasus mountains. To the north is Dagestan where militants are waging an insurgency to create an Islamist state.
The men are also seen working with what are reportedly explosives.
The Russian President has acknowledged in an interview on Sunday the Games could be a target for terrorists. But said Russia has a “perfect understanding” of the threat and how to stop it.
- 1Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 2Albert Einstein and the incredible discovery of gravitational waves
- 3Turkey threatens to unleash refugees on Europe
- 4Major powers agree on truce in Syria “within a week”
- 5Democratic nomination: Clinton crushes Sanders – thanks to “superdelegates”
- 1Turkey blames US for ‘sea of blood’ in region
- 2Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 3Nigeria: suicide bomber turns herself in after recognising relatives among potential victims
- 4Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 5World powers arrive in Munich hoping to resurrect Syrian peace talks
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Partnering to grow Europe
- 5Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 8Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 15latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18French language revolution in France
- 19Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 20world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
Wires > News
- 17:01 CET Crook-wielding Greek farmers clash with police in Athens pension…
- 17:00 CET Two shot at U.S. high school, police say
- 16:56 CET Moscow court rejects lawsuit against Putin from Kremlin critic…
- 16:51 CET France to evict almost 1,000 migrants from ‘jungle’ near Calais
- 16:49 CET Iraqi PM says has won back half of IS-held territories
- 15:30 CET Pope gets shoe shine on Cuba-bound plane
- 15:19 CET Britain says missing Hong Kong bookseller ‘involuntarily removed‘…
- 14:50 CET No one believed killed or injured in Istanbul building collapse -…