20/01/14 11:10 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A stark and brutal threat to attack the Sochi Olympics has been issued by two men claiming on a video to represent an Islamic militant group.
In the warning directed at Russian President Vladimir Putin they say if the Games go ahead there will be, “a present for him and all tourists”.
It will, they add be in revenge for all the Muslim blood that is shed every day around the world.
The group claims it was behind the two suicide bombs in which at least 34 people were killed last month. A station and bus were targeted in the city of Volgograd in the attacks.
Two men called Suleiman and Abdurakhman claimed responsibility and were acting on behalf of a group known as Vilyat Dagestan which is linked to an Iraqi extremist faction called Ansar al-Sunna the video, which was posted on a social network site said.
The Games host city of Sochi lies on the western edge of the Caucasus mountains. To the north is Dagestan where militants are waging an insurgency to create an Islamist state.
The men are also seen working with what are reportedly explosives.
The Russian President has acknowledged in an interview on Sunday the Games could be a target for terrorists. But said Russia has a “perfect understanding” of the threat and how to stop it.
- 1What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 2Will English remain as the de facto EU official language?
- 3David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 4Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty explained
- 5EU friendly London shocked after Britain vote to leave
Latest world news
Deadly bomb attack on hotel in Somalia’s capital
North Korea marks anniversary of start of Korean war
More than 20 dead in West Virginia in US state’s ‘worst floods in a century’
Russian governor Nikita Belykh held over ‘large bribe’ in corruption probe
Massive petition calls for EU referendum re-run
Wires > News
- 19:32 CET U.S. Coast Guard suspends search for Florida family lost at sea
- 19:13 CET Germany’s Merkel signals sober separation from EU ‘partner’ Britain
- 19:07 CET Brazil’s Temer says women should retire earlier than men – paper
- 17:33 CET Brexit crisis tops off rough stretch in Obama’s push for legacy
- 17:25 CET Eight Indian police officials dead, 20 injured in Kashmir militant…
- 17:24 CET Somali Islamist militants attack hotel in Mogadishu
- 17:07 CET Irish unity vote for later, not now – foreign minister
- 16:58 CET Syrian or Russian air strikes kill dozens in eastern Syria -…