Record rainfall in south-eastern France has led to floods in which two people have died – one person in his cellar, another was swept away in his car while it’s reported a third person is missing.
One woman told how her empty car was washed away by a huge wave.
Helicopters have been deployed to pluck people to safety, around 155 were airlifted many more were evacuated by boat.
Officials said at one stage around 4,000 homes were without power.
“I’m in shock, I’ve never seen this before. I had neighbours on the roof, I didn’t know what to do. I didn’t know if I should go or not. I didn’t sleep last night, I’m shaking and I am scared,” admitted one home owner.
Prime Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault visited the area where the mud and silt from the River Gapeau which burst its banks caused significant damage.
In Nice around 100 mm of rain had fallen in three days compared with the monthly average of 85 mm.
The heavy rains also lashed parts of northern Italy where one man was killed and another is reported as missing.
Around 600 people had to be evacuated as the rain storms threatened landslides.
Passengers on a train had a narrow escape when it was stranded on a cliff near the city of Genoa after one of its carriages and the engine were derailed due to a landslide.
Local sources reported it could take weeks to remove the train from its precarious position.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Brazil’s top prosecutor requests probe into Dilma Rousseff’s role in Petrobras scandal.
Trump is Republican presumptive nominee after crushing Cruz in Indiana
Wildfire triggers emergency evacuation in Alberta
Israeli troops shoot dead driver of rammed car
Google and Fiat to team up on self drive cars
Wires > News
- 10:59 CET Islamic State must be pushed back in northern Syria – Turkish…
- 10:41 CET Air raids hit east of Damascus after ‘calm’ expires
- 10:38 CET Three Red Cross workers kidnapped in Congo by suspected rebels
- 10:05 CET Pakistan army launches inquiry into political worker’s death
- 09:53 CET Indonesia to hold new round of executions; no word on foreigners
- 09:50 CET Girl’s gang rape in Indonesia prompts angry calls for protection
- 09:33 CET Dhaka arrests five Bangladeshis deported from Singapore
- 08:40 CET Turkey approves law among final hurdles for EU visa deal