Record rainfall in south-eastern France has led to floods in which two people have died – one person in his cellar, another was swept away in his car while it’s reported a third person is missing.
One woman told how her empty car was washed away by a huge wave.
Helicopters have been deployed to pluck people to safety, around 155 were airlifted many more were evacuated by boat.
Officials said at one stage around 4,000 homes were without power.
“I’m in shock, I’ve never seen this before. I had neighbours on the roof, I didn’t know what to do. I didn’t know if I should go or not. I didn’t sleep last night, I’m shaking and I am scared,” admitted one home owner.
Prime Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault visited the area where the mud and silt from the River Gapeau which burst its banks caused significant damage.
In Nice around 100 mm of rain had fallen in three days compared with the monthly average of 85 mm.
The heavy rains also lashed parts of northern Italy where one man was killed and another is reported as missing.
Around 600 people had to be evacuated as the rain storms threatened landslides.
Passengers on a train had a narrow escape when it was stranded on a cliff near the city of Genoa after one of its carriages and the engine were derailed due to a landslide.
Local sources reported it could take weeks to remove the train from its precarious position.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 2Ceasefire holds in eastern Ukraine except for Mariupol region
- 3Mexico volcano eruption causes further flight cancellations
- 4Labeled as ‘Art/Craft’ a stolen Picasso worth millions is found in New York airport
- 5Dutch town cowers in terror over Eagle owl attacks
- 1Kyiv’s suspension of gas flow to eastern Ukraine ‘smells of genocide’ says Putin
- 2Ukraine crisis: Ceasefire appears to take hold
- 3New, huge black hole challenges pre-existing theories
- 4Mexico volcano eruption causes further flight cancellations
- 5Amnesty report blasts UN, governments for not doing protective duty
- 1Dictating fashion? The strange and unique styles of world leaders
- 2Birdman, Julianne Moore and Eddie Redmayne savour Oscar success
- 3New Gothic 20 euro note revealed
- 4Amnesty calls on permanent members of UN Security Council to lose their veto
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 5English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 6Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 7Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 8Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 9International news | euronews, latest international news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 14New Greek government unveiled with radical economist named Finance Minister | euronews, world news
- 15euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 16Dark matter, dark energy: ESA and CERN set to unravel mysteries of the cosmos | euronews, space
- 17Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 18Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
- 19World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
- 20Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
Wires > News
- 21:12 CET Mexico captures most wanted drug kingpin, ‘La Tuta’
- 21:00 CET Iran, six powers to hold nuclear talks in Switzerland on March 5…
- 20:50 CET UAE and Kuwait to reopen embassies in Yemen’s south, backing Hadi
- 20:47 CET Cameron vows to hunt down ‘Jihadi John’
- 20:45 CET Nearly half of Greeks would back Syriza in new election – poll
- 20:32 CET Clashes in Maldives as thousands call for president to quit
- 20:15 CET Obama to host Afghan President Ghani at White House in March
- 20:14 CET Deaths shake Ukraine truce; Poroshenko wary of Russian threat