Record rainfall in south-eastern France has led to floods in which two people have died – one person in his cellar, another was swept away in his car while it’s reported a third person is missing.
One woman told how her empty car was washed away by a huge wave.
Helicopters have been deployed to pluck people to safety, around 155 were airlifted many more were evacuated by boat.
Officials said at one stage around 4,000 homes were without power.
“I’m in shock, I’ve never seen this before. I had neighbours on the roof, I didn’t know what to do. I didn’t know if I should go or not. I didn’t sleep last night, I’m shaking and I am scared,” admitted one home owner.
Prime Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault visited the area where the mud and silt from the River Gapeau which burst its banks caused significant damage.
In Nice around 100 mm of rain had fallen in three days compared with the monthly average of 85 mm.
The heavy rains also lashed parts of northern Italy where one man was killed and another is reported as missing.
Around 600 people had to be evacuated as the rain storms threatened landslides.
Passengers on a train had a narrow escape when it was stranded on a cliff near the city of Genoa after one of its carriages and the engine were derailed due to a landslide.
Local sources reported it could take weeks to remove the train from its precarious position.
- 1Merkel: no talks on new Greece bailout deal until after referendum
- 2Ku Klux Klan set for Confederate flag rally as black church fires probed
- 3UPDATE Egypt: Islamist militants affiliated to ISIL claim deadly Sinai attacks
- 4What is the market price of valour for Greece?
- 5Ukraine stops Russian gas imports after price talks collapse
- 1Greek Prime Minister Tsipras confirms referendum, calls for Greeks to reject creditors’ proposal
- 2Time runs out: Greece misses 1.6 billion-euro IMF repayment
- 3Debt “dithering” sparks online bid to raise €1.6 billion to help Greece
- 4Greece’s eurozone future in balance as bailout expires
- 5Ukraine stops buying Russian gas over price row
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 10NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 12‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 13Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 14Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 15Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Greek banks, stock exchange will not open on Monday, Tsipras announces
Wires > News
- 04:30 CET ‘Wow, pulled back wrong throttle’ – captain of crashed TransAsia…
- 02:24 CET Images show Chinese airstrip on man-made Spratly island nearly…
- 00:50 CET Britain, Russia at odds over U.N. Srebrenica genocide commemoration
- 00:18 CET More than 100 dead as militants, Egyptian army clash in North Sinai
- 23:55 CET Migrant trafficker jailed for 18 years for 2013 shipwreck off Italy
- 23:20 CET Congo Republic leader calls for national dialogue, with term…
- 23:10 CET Fleeing a crisis, Greek migrants flock back to Australia
- 22:27 CET Mexico supreme court judge urges states to legalize gay marriage