It is a jewel in the crown of Norway’s national heritage.
But fire has devastated the historic village of Laerdalsoyri, destroying up to 30 of its wooden buildings.
Amid strong winds, fire crews could not prevent the blaze spreading to part of the site named on the Unesco World Heritage list. Three buildings burned in the protected area.
For local people in the western town, the blaze, which spread from one house on Saturday night, is nothing short of a tragedy.
“Terrible, completely terrible,” said one shocked resident.
“It feels a little better when I can’t see the flames anymore…the fact that it is starting to get darker down there. But a few hours ago, it was terrible.”
Arild Foerde, who lives nearby, said: “The people I met when I came down were very calm but you can see that it has had a deep impact on them. It is difficult to know what to say.”
This could also, so nearly, have been a human tragedy. While dozens needed treatment after breathing in smoke, no deaths were reported.
Fire crews did manage to get the better of this blaze. But as an investigation into its cause begins, nothing can replace the precious properties that have been lost.
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 19Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Latest world news
Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar ‘is dead’, officials claim
Malik Ishaq: Pakistan Sunni militant chief dies in shootout
Cecil the Lion: two Zimbabweans face court for luring him from protected area
Channel Tunnel: one dies, COBRA meets in London
Syria: counting the humanitarian cost
Wires > News
- 13:05 CET Two Israelis charged in arson attack on Church of Loaves and Fishes
- 12:56 CET Niger strips opposition parliamentary leader of immunity
- 12:54 CET Afghan government investigating reports Mullah Omar is dead -…
- 12:42 CET Romania seizes record heroin haul after four-year hunt
- 12:37 CET Malaysian probe into fund scandal stalls after PM sacks deputy
- 12:20 CET Zimbabwean men in court over killing of Cecil the lion
- 12:18 CET Bahrain sees ‘foreign’ link in attack, Iran denies role
- 12:17 CET Japan shouldn’t cave to foreign pressure on PM war anniversary…