It is a jewel in the crown of Norway’s national heritage.
But fire has devastated the historic village of Laerdalsoyri, destroying up to 30 of its wooden buildings.
Amid strong winds, fire crews could not prevent the blaze spreading to part of the site named on the Unesco World Heritage list. Three buildings burned in the protected area.
For local people in the western town, the blaze, which spread from one house on Saturday night, is nothing short of a tragedy.
“Terrible, completely terrible,” said one shocked resident.
“It feels a little better when I can’t see the flames anymore…the fact that it is starting to get darker down there. But a few hours ago, it was terrible.”
Arild Foerde, who lives nearby, said: “The people I met when I came down were very calm but you can see that it has had a deep impact on them. It is difficult to know what to say.”
This could also, so nearly, have been a human tragedy. While dozens needed treatment after breathing in smoke, no deaths were reported.
Fire crews did manage to get the better of this blaze. But as an investigation into its cause begins, nothing can replace the precious properties that have been lost.
- 1Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
- 2Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
- 3The strategic map of the the offensive against ISIL
- 4Germany: Pegida objects to Kinder using images of non-white children on its chocolate wrappers
- 5Russia-Hungary meeting ahead of EU sanctions decision
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
- 3EgyptAir crash: suggestions of explosion on board ‘mere assumptions’ – official
- 4A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 5French union blockades spark petrol shortages
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
Prominent journalist freed in Azerbaijan
French nuclear workers vote to join strike against labour laws
Russia-Hungary meeting ahead of EU sanctions decision
The strategic map of the the offensive against ISIL
Overcrowded fishing boat capsizes off Italian coast, 500 migrants rescued
Wires > News
- 22:51 CET Guinean sailors arrested after clash with Sierra Leone navy
- 22:27 CET French, Italian firms to help search for EgyptAir black boxes
- 22:16 CET U.N. concerned by rising political tension in Congo ahead of vote
- 22:01 CET Obama administration officials warn lawmakers over Iran sanctions
- 21:38 CET Exclusive – EU launches contingency talks for Brexit vote: sources
- 21:28 CET U.S. says new Israeli coalition raises ‘legitimate questions’
- 21:13 CET Islamic State claims fatal stabbing of Bangladeshi Hindu -monitor…
- 21:10 CET French labour clash escalates, public fear impact on Euro 2016