Venezuela’s Socialist President Nicolas Maduro has just named an army general as the new finance minister to fight an economic crisis that includes soaring inflation.
He also pledged there would be no currency devaluation this year despite a rampant black market for dollars.
Shoppers face empty shelves because government price caps and currency controls – intended to help Venezuela’s poor – mean there is a shortage of dollars needed to import products.
Food shortages are compounded by inadequate domestic production.
The economy of the energy rich country grew by an estimated 1.6 percent last year, down from 5.6 percent in 2012. Annual inflation was 56.2 percent.
Analysts say a devaluation of Venezuela’s currency is long overdue to rectify distortions in the economy, but Maduro has ruled that out. He blames corruption and sabotage along with speculators and hoarders for the problems.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > Business
- 18:29 CET EU regulators consult on compromise in derivatives spat with U.S.
- 18:22 CET Exclusive – Charterhouse dials up Deutsche to sell French call…
- 18:15 CET With abundant energy, Iceland woos power-hungry data centers
- 18:03 CET Bank of Ireland CEO eyes early preference share redemption
- 18:01 CET FTSE has biggest one-day gain in a week, buoyed by ECB policy…
- 17:19 CET Mulberry finance chief to exit as management revamp continues
- 17:18 CET VW’s finance chief set to become new chairman
- 17:15 CET French farm plan to allow 3 billion euros investment – PM