15/01/14 16:28 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A raft of new anti-terrorism laws have been submitted to the Russian parliament – the Duma.
State security services have been heavily involved in drafting the amendments.
The bill would allow officers the right to stop and search, monitor the Internet and social media, and have wide ranging powers to prevent the laundering of money from criminal activity.
Communist MP Oleg Denisenko, who is deputy head of the Duma’s security and anti-corruption committee, said: “We propose a maximum sentence of up to life imprisonment for preparing and organising terrorist acts. Of course, it will not stop a suicide terrorist, but will be a stop factor for the organisers”
The December bomb attacks in the city of Volgograd that left 34 people dead sent shockwaves through Russia’s security services.
Following the blasts authorities detained 700 people, to date no one had been charged.
Russia is on edge as the Winter Olympics are due to begin in Sochi in February – doubly so as the venue is close to the North Caucasus Russia’s most volatile region and the origin of many terrorist attacks in the country.
- 1Istanbul attack: suspects thought to come from former USSR
- 2Slovakia attacks EU post-Brexit direction on eve of taking over presidency
- 3Putin rejects new arms race and builds bridges with Turkey
- 4Critics round on Boris Johnson after Gove wields Brexit knife
- 5UK: who are the Famous Five candidates for PM?
Latest world news
Austria’s Constitutional Court rules that Presidential election held in May, narrowly lost by far-right candidate, must be held again
Firefighting plane lost in Russia
Will Brexit help him? Australian PM calls for stability ahead of tight general election
Istanbul airport attack: the suspects and the victims
Delight for Portugal fans after another nail-biter goes down to wire
Wires > News
- 11:57 CET Czech president urges referendum on EU, NATO, says would back…
- 11:54 CET Hungary jails 10 migrants for up to three years for border crossing
- 11:50 CET U.S. downgrades Myanmar, raises Thailand in human trafficking…
- 11:45 CET Tunisian prisoners tell of life with Islamic State in Libya
- 11:39 CET Taiwan Navy fires missile in error as China’s Communists mark…
- 11:33 CET Syrian warplane crashes near Damascus, rebels seize pilot -…
- 11:17 CET A Brexit warning from Switzerland: beware votes on free movement
- 11:16 CET Six killed in gun attack on two buses in Kenya’s Mandera