By Chris HarrisFollow @lyonanglais
13/01/14 10:58 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A widower ate a part of a man’s leg in a horrifying revenge attack in the Central African Republic (CAR), it’s emerged.
The man told the BBC he took part in the attack after Muslims had killed his pregnant wife, sister-in-law and her baby.
A mob of around 20 youths, including the widower, forced a bus to stop in the capital Bungui, and dragged a Muslim from it, according to the broadcaster. Their victim was then beaten, stabbed and set on fire. Footage seen by the BBC reportedly shows the widower eating the man’s leg.
It comes after a Christian militia attacked the capital in December. The subsequent violence left 1,000 dead and nearly a million displaced.
The country is under a transitional government after the resignation of Michel Djotodia.
CAR has endured a series of attacks and counter attacks by Christian and Muslim militias.
It has suffered five coups since gaining independence from France in 1960.
By Chris HarrisMore about:
Analysis: Trump triumphs over rivals but faces uphill battle against Clinton
Video: Transgender woman ‘assaulted on New York subway’
Andy Murray joins Federer in not staying at Rio Olympic Village
Hunger is no game as Italian court quashes homeless man’s food theft conviction
Germany to legalise medicinal marijuana
Wires > News
- 14:11 CET Israel says found second Hamas tunnel from Gaza since 2014 war
- 14:03 CET Burundi police say 450 people killed in political violence in past…
- 13:52 CET Truce takes hold in Aleppo but fighting goes on elsewhere in Syria
- 13:39 CET Pakistan girl, 16, ‘burnt alive’ for helping couple to elope
- 13:37 CET Saudi security operation against Islamic State fighters in Mecca -…
- 13:20 CET People die, shooting rages at night, amid spluttering…
- 12:22 CET Israeli general assailed for Nazi comparison on Holocaust memorial…
- 12:11 CET Anguished Republicans wrestle with whether to support Trump