By Chris HarrisFollow @lyonanglais
13/01/14 10:58 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A widower ate a part of a man’s leg in a horrifying revenge attack in the Central African Republic (CAR), it’s emerged.
The man told the BBC he took part in the attack after Muslims had killed his pregnant wife, sister-in-law and her baby.
A mob of around 20 youths, including the widower, forced a bus to stop in the capital Bungui, and dragged a Muslim from it, according to the broadcaster. Their victim was then beaten, stabbed and set on fire. Footage seen by the BBC reportedly shows the widower eating the man’s leg.
It comes after a Christian militia attacked the capital in December. The subsequent violence left 1,000 dead and nearly a million displaced.
The country is under a transitional government after the resignation of Michel Djotodia.
CAR has endured a series of attacks and counter attacks by Christian and Muslim militias.
It has suffered five coups since gaining independence from France in 1960.
By Chris HarrisMore about:
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 3Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Wires > News
- 16:11 CET North Korean assembly awards leader Kim Jong Un fresh title
- 16:09 CET India arrests five suspected of plotting Islamic State attacks
- 15:56 CET Poland reiterates NATO should uphold open-door policy
- 15:47 CET In Istanbul airport’s swift reopening some see resilience, others…
- 15:43 CET U.N.-backed Yemen peace talks adjourn until July 15 – envoy
- 15:19 CET Italy’s Renzi says Spain, Portugal risk EU deficit sanctions
- 15:17 CET Hungary will not relent on migration policy – PM Orban
- 15:04 CET Serb national jailed for 13 years in Kosovo on terrorism charges