Israel has stepped up security for Ariel Sharon’s funeral. Palestinians commonly view him has a war criminal.
In the West Bank town of Jenin where dozens of Palestinians died in a refugee camp in 2002, they have been celebrating.
“Sharon’s death? Lets him go to hell. He committed only crimes against humanity. So good riddance,” said one man.“We are so happy to hear of his death, he destroyed our houses in the Jenin camp, and he displaced our people,” said another.
“Its good news for Palestinians, because he committed many crimes, like the Sabra and Shatila massacres in the 80s, and his attack to Alaqsa mosque in 2002,” said one woman.
Sharon was found to have been indirectly responsible by an Israeli inquiry for failing to prevent massacres by Christian Phalangist militias in the Beirut refugee camps…. something Palestinians can never forget.
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Wires > News
- 04:09 CET Empty houses and jobless maids – Indonesia’s expat exodus gathers…
- 01:29 CET Exclusive – U.S. to downgrade Myanmar in annual human trafficking…
- 01:18 CET Insight – Pakistan’s new military courts challenged over abuse…
- 01:14 CET Japan revamps child welfare, but tens of thousands still…
- 01:11 CET Egypt deports popular Lebanese political talk show host
- 00:58 CET Turkey mends fences with Israel, Russia in foreign policy reset
- 00:21 CET Iraqi army closes in on Islamic State militants near Falluja
- 00:02 CET Magnitude 5.7 quake shakes southern Mexico, no damage reported