13/01/14 15:51 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
In his first ‘State of the World’ address the Pope has made his toughest remarks to date on abortion, describing the practice as ‘horrific’.
Speaking to diplomats inside the Vatican on Monday, Francis said abortion was evidence of the world’s throwaway culture and compared it to other crimes against humanity.
‘‘It arouses horror at the thought that there are children who will never see the light – victims of abortion – or those children who are used as soldiers, raped or killed in armed conflicts, objects in that tremendous market in the form of modern slavery that is human trafficking, which is a crime against humanity,’‘ Pope Francis said.
The comments are being interpreted by analysts as a nod to Conservatives inside the church who have criticised Francis for not speaking forcefully enough on the abortion issue since taking charge last March.
The Pontiff also called for a renewed “political will” to end the conflict in Syria, and urged for an end to the violence in the Central African Republic.
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
- 5Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 3Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 4More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 5Ukrainian pilot Savchenko back in Kyiv after 2 years in Russian jail
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
Austria launches probe into alleged postal vote irregularities
France PM Valls hints at tweaks to labour laws as strikes and protests go on
French police arrest man on low-level terror watch list
Dutch court agrees extradition of French terror suspect
Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
Wires > News
- 20:01 CET Clashes at French protests, union warns of Euro football disruption
- 19:48 CET U.N. panel rejects press freedom watchdog accreditation request
- 19:40 CET Son of Equatorial Guinea leader may face French corruption trial
- 19:21 CET Italian mayor breaks with PM’s party over lack of help for migrants
- 18:59 CET Egypt rights activist says banned from travel
- 18:28 CET Australian family facing deportation highlights UK immigration…
- 18:16 CET Trump, Le Pen, Brexiteer Johnson dubbed a ‘horror’ show as …
- 17:38 CET Afghanistan sees Taliban leader as rigid conservative uninterested…