Italy’s jobless rate rose in November to a new record high of 12.7 percent.
That month there were 55,000 fewer people in work compared with the month before, and 448,000 fewer than in November 2012.
Youth unemployment also hit its highest level on record 41.6 percent.
Despite weak signs of economic recovery Italian businesses are not creating jobs as the country languishes in its longest post-war recession.
The young are dispirited. One young woman said: “I am extremely worried about my future. I still haven’t made up my mind on what I’m going to do, probably I’ll go abroad”.
While a young male jobseeker lamented: “We invested all this time and money in our studies but now we find we have nothing.”
Prime Minister Enrico Letta has called the youth unemployment rate a national emergency. His party is about to unveil a “Jobs Act”.
Since the start of the global financial crisis, in 2007 Italy has lost over one million jobs and a recent opinion poll found 70 percent of Italians who do have a job fear they could lose it.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 7Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Why World Elephant Day matters
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > Business
- 16:42 CET Man Group’s China chief assisting police probe – Bloomberg
- 16:34 CET Google, Sanofi team up to improve diabetes care
- 15:48 CET ArcelorMittal South Africa to close mills, review largest plant
- 15:08 CET No ‘viable’ alternative to QE seen for the ECB – Reuters poll
- 14:52 CET Exclusive – Citi aims to boost equities franchise amid industry…
- 14:16 CET Low inflation in Europe puts spotlight on ECB
- 14:15 CET Analysis – Venture capital cash surfers may see waves recede in…
- 14:02 CET Toshiba CEO says newfound accounting errors not huge