The New Zealand director Jane Campion has been named this year’s jury president of the Cannes film festival.
She is the first woman to head the jury since 2009 and, notably, remains the only female filmmaker to have ever won the movie festival’s prestigious Palme d’or, in 1993 for Piano. The movie also won an Oscar for best original screen play.
A romantic drama, the Piano tells the story of a mute pianist whose father sells her into marriage to a New Zealand frontiersman.
“I am truly honoured to join with the Cannes Film Festival as president of the in-competition features for 2014,” Campion said in a statement issued by the festival. “In fact I can’t wait.”
“Since I first went to Cannes with my short films in 1986 I have had the opportunity to see the festival from many sides and my admiration for this queen of film festivals has only grown larger,” she said.
Cannes will take place from May14-25.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 5Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 10Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 15Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 19Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 20Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
Latest world news
Dutch PM to Greece: only way to keep the euro is deep reform
Pope wows the crowds with first papal visit to Ecuador in 30 years
Ocean’s Eleven and Karate Kid producer Jerry Weintraub dies
Armenia police clear ‘electricity hike’ protest camp in capital
Italian police carry out anti-jihadi sweep in Pisa
Wires > News
- 10:27 CET Explosives stolen from army base in France
- 07:37 CET Senegalese risk lives in migrant exodus despite stability at home
- 07:34 CET Dream of better life in Britain fuels Calais migrant chaos
- 07:31 CET Brothers arrested over links to Islamic State bombing in Kuwait -…
- 06:50 CET At least 13 dead in gun attack in northeast Kenya – Red Cross
- 05:36 CET The world’s oldest man dies in Japan, aged 112
- 04:12 CET Islamic State target Iraq’s Haditha town with vehicle bombs
- 04:05 CET Ebola-stricken nations need $700 million to rebuild healthcare