The New Zealand director Jane Campion has been named this year’s jury president of the Cannes film festival.
She is the first woman to head the jury since 2009 and, notably, remains the only female filmmaker to have ever won the movie festival’s prestigious Palme d’or, in 1993 for Piano. The movie also won an Oscar for best original screen play.
A romantic drama, the Piano tells the story of a mute pianist whose father sells her into marriage to a New Zealand frontiersman.
“I am truly honoured to join with the Cannes Film Festival as president of the in-competition features for 2014,” Campion said in a statement issued by the festival. “In fact I can’t wait.”
“Since I first went to Cannes with my short films in 1986 I have had the opportunity to see the festival from many sides and my admiration for this queen of film festivals has only grown larger,” she said.
Cannes will take place from May14-25.
- 1Spain heading for constitutional tension as Catalonia calls an early election
- 2Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 3Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 4Italy arrests Mafia suspects after cracking Cosa Nostra’s secret code words
- 5Handling of a child sex abuse complaint against a former British prime minister to be investigated.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far
Wires > News
- 21:33 CET Cecil the lion case charts new territory for U.S. wildlife law
- 21:19 CET Germany sacks top prosecutor in row over treason inquiry
- 20:06 CET Tanzanian opposition coalition nominates former PM for presidency
- 20:01 CET Pledge to accept sparks protest in Latvia
- 19:22 CET Italian minister visits Iran seeking better ties
- 19:02 CET Gaddafi loyalists stage rare protest in eastern Libya
- 18:33 CET Obama’s climate plan shows U.S. can change world – U.N.‘s Ban
- 18:31 CET Further conflict, debt dispute pose high risk to Ukraine recovery…