07/01/14 08:43 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The New Zealand director Jane Campion has been named this year’s jury president of the Cannes film festival.
She is the first woman to head the jury since 2009 and, notably, remains the only female filmmaker to have ever won the movie festival’s prestigious Palme d’or, in 1993 for Piano. The movie also won an Oscar for best original screen play.
A romantic drama, the Piano tells the story of a mute pianist whose father sells her into marriage to a New Zealand frontiersman.
“I am truly honoured to join with the Cannes Film Festival as president of the in-competition features for 2014,” Campion said in a statement issued by the festival. “In fact I can’t wait.”
“Since I first went to Cannes with my short films in 1986 I have had the opportunity to see the festival from many sides and my admiration for this queen of film festivals has only grown larger,” she said.
Cannes will take place from May14-25.
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Latest world news
“Three Amigos” summit presents a united front
Both Britain’s main political parties seem headed for leadership battles
The EU’s 27 leaders “unite” as they view the future minus the UK
euronews reporter trapped on the tarmac as airport attack raged
Turkey mourns as the first funeral takes place of a victim from the Istanbul airport attack
Wires > News
- 05:29 CET China slams South China Sea case as court set to rule
- 05:01 CET North Korea’s Dear Respected Comrade leader gets a new title
- 03:12 CET At Pacific Alliance summit, Chile warns against isolationism
- 02:26 CET U.S. says Russian ship raised false signal in incident
- 02:22 CET U.S.-led strikes pound Islamic State in Iraq, kill 250 fighters
- 01:42 CET North America leaders mount strong defence of trade despite threats
- 01:34 CET Japan plans July fighter jet tender seen worth $40 billion as…
- 01:03 CET Home-grown militants and ex-major behind Bangladesh attacks…