The evacuation of passengers from a Russian research ship stuck in Antarctic ice since Christmas Eve is finally underway.
A Chinese helicopter is picking up all 52 tourists and scientists from the stricken Akademik Shokalskiy.
The 22-strong Russian crew were expected to remain on board the vessel. All of those stranded are believed to be in good condition.
Blizzards, fog and shifting sea ice had hampered earlier evacuation attempts.
The scientists from several different nationalities were taking part in an expedition to commemorate the 100th anniversary of an Antarctic journey by Australian explorer Douglas Mawson.
The passengers, who remained in good spirits, were being taken to an Australian ice-breaker.
EXCLUSIVE: First picture of Chinese helicopter evacuation of Akademik Shokalskiy via— Antarctica Live (@GdnAntarctica) January 2, 2014
loztopham</a> for <a href="https://twitter.com/guardian">guardian pic.twitter.com/9WEFChFy0K
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 5Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 10ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 13Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 14Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 15International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 16Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 17Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Russia bans film adaptation of ‘Child 44’ | euronews, world news
- 20World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
Wires > News
- 13:54 CET Israel invites bids for 77 settler homes
- 13:14 CET Sudanese President Bashir wins 94.05 percent of vote – election…
- 13:08 CET Insight – Set to begin, U.S. plan for Syrian rebels already mired…
- 13:02 CET Insight – Two migrant sisters from Syria, now worlds apart
- 12:55 CET South Korea’s Park accepts PM’s resignation in illegal funds…
- 12:53 CET China maritime tensions dominate Southeast Asia summit
- 12:15 CET One more Ukrainian serviceman killed in eastern Ukraine – Kiev…
- 12:10 CET Spanish PM Rajoy upbeat on economy as election race heats up