The Quadrantid Meteor Shower, the first meteor shower in 2014, started on December 28, 2013 but will peak on January 3.
The meteor shower will continue through January 12.
At its peak, people should be able to see up to 80 meteors per hour.
The Quadrantids originate from an asteroid known as 2003 EH1. The meteors will enter our atmosphere at 90,000 miles per hour, burning 50 miles above the Earth’s surface, according to NASA.
The Quadrantids derive their name from the constellation of Quadrans Muralis (mural quadrant), which was created by the French astronomer Jerome Lalande in 1795, the space agency says.
“Located between the constellations of Bootes and Draco, Quadrans represents an early astronomical instrument used to observe and plot stars. Even though the constellation is no longer recognized by astronomers, it was around long enough to give the meteor shower — first seen in 1825 — its name.”
Because of the location of the radiant (the northern tip of Bootes the Herdsman) only people in the northern hemisphere will be able to see this meteor shower.
The best time to watch will be before dawn on January 3 for those in North America, or before dawn on January 4 for those in Asia, according to EarthSky. For those in Europe and the Middle East, either of these dates could work.
- 1Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 2Top Kurdish lawyer Tahir Elci shot dead in Turkey
- 3Turkey warns Russia not to ‘play with fire’ over downing of fighter jet
- 4Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
- 5Mali: at least 3 dead in attack on UN peacekeepers base in Kidal
- 1Turkey dismisses Russia’s economic threats over downing of fighter jet
- 2Putin and Hollande agree on greater cooperation over Syrian air strikes
- 3Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 4Russia hits Turkey with economic sanctions, warns more could follow
- 5Italian police seize hundreds of rifles bound for Belgium
- 1Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 2Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 3Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 4Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 5Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 15‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 16No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 19Latest News Bulletin
- 20Terrorist threat on Europe’s rail network, according to German tabloid
Marathon great Radcliffe cleared of all doping charges
Black Friday in America: crowds in stores thin, but big at computers
French Foreign Minister foresees Syrian forces in the fight against ISIL
What is the EU’s drive for a circular economy all about?
And also… #1in5Muslims; not quite terrorism; Russia’s unlikely friendship
Wires > News
- 20:24 CET Suspect named in rampage at Colorado Planned Parenthood clinic
- 20:22 CET Greek PM fails to get opposition backing on pension reform
- 20:01 CET Thousands of Israeli Arabs protest ban on Islamist group
- 19:59 CET Gunmen kill four Egypt security personnel south of Cairo – sources
- 19:35 CET Top Kurdish lawyer shot dead in southeast Turkey
- 18:38 CET Elite Kosovo police arrest opposition leader over tear gas
- 18:22 CET Protesters delay German minister on train to Paris climate talks
- 17:42 CET Kremlin says Putin ‘fully mobilised’ to tackle threat from Turkey