The Quadrantid Meteor Shower, the first meteor shower in 2014, started on December 28, 2013 but will peak on January 3.
The meteor shower will continue through January 12.
At its peak, people should be able to see up to 80 meteors per hour.
The Quadrantids originate from an asteroid known as 2003 EH1. The meteors will enter our atmosphere at 90,000 miles per hour, burning 50 miles above the Earth’s surface, according to NASA.
The Quadrantids derive their name from the constellation of Quadrans Muralis (mural quadrant), which was created by the French astronomer Jerome Lalande in 1795, the space agency says.
“Located between the constellations of Bootes and Draco, Quadrans represents an early astronomical instrument used to observe and plot stars. Even though the constellation is no longer recognized by astronomers, it was around long enough to give the meteor shower — first seen in 1825 — its name.”
Because of the location of the radiant (the northern tip of Bootes the Herdsman) only people in the northern hemisphere will be able to see this meteor shower.
The best time to watch will be before dawn on January 3 for those in North America, or before dawn on January 4 for those in Asia, according to EarthSky. For those in Europe and the Middle East, either of these dates could work.
Iran bans female MP for ‘handshake with an unrelated man’
Analysis: Trump triumphs over rivals but faces uphill battle against Clinton
Video: Transgender woman ‘assaulted on New York subway’
Andy Murray joins Federer in not staying at Rio Olympic Village
Hunger is no game as Italian court quashes homeless man’s food theft conviction
Wires > News
- 17:52 CET In Beirut vote, old parties face new challenge
- 17:47 CET Irish parliament to vote on re-electing PM Kenny on Friday
- 17:39 CET Militants stage attacks between Libyan stronghold of Sirte and…
- 17:35 CET Truce takes hold in Aleppo but fighting rages nearby
- 16:57 CET Women’s wisdom crucial to beating climate change, researchers say
- 16:41 CET Anguished Republicans wrestle with whether to support Trump for…
- 16:23 CET Italy PM Renzi’s ally, Tiscali head, convicted of tax evasion
- 16:16 CET Greek parliament to vote on tax, pension reforms before Eurogroup…