Latvia’s New Year celebrations were shared with an official ceremony at midnight as the country became the 18th member of the eurozone.
Acting Prime Minister Valdis Dombrovskis, who is credited with steering the country towards adopting the euro, withdrew the first Latvian euros from an cash dispensing machine in Riga.
Estonia’s premier Andrus Ansip, who was guest of honour, followed suit. His country joined the eurozone club in 2011.
Lithuania aims to do the same next year, completing the Baltic countries’ efforts to link up economically with the West.
While many Latvians are sceptical about the euro due to its recent tribulations, Latvia’s premier says it is an opportunity, not a guarantee of wealth.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 8Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Latest world news
Failed breach attempt by migrants in Calais
Israelis against recent violence in region as clashes rage in West Bank
Turkish air strikes lead Iraqi Kurds to ask PKK to leave
Funeral of Whitney Houston’s daughter overshadowed by family feud
Suspected MH370 flaperon arrives for identification at BEA, Toulouse
Wires > News
- 10:11 CET Analysis – Germans fret over Europe’s future but still believe
- 09:56 CET Chinese military paper warns a corrupt army does not win wars
- 06:07 CET Five found shot to death in Mexico City apartment
- 23:06 CET Finland must watch far-right closely after violent rally – minister
- 20:11 CET Kurdish militia in Syria accuses Turkey of ‘provocative’ attacks
- 18:19 CET Egypt extends for six months military mandate in Gulf, Red Sea
- 18:03 CET Iran’s parliament has no power over nuclear deal, top negotiator…
- 17:29 CET Merkel to run for 4th term in 2017 – Der Spiegel