There was shock and sympathy in the French Alpine ski resort of Meribel where German former racing driver Michael Schumacher fell and banged his head on a rock.
He was wearing a helmet and, by all accounts, skiing well within his capabilities. The accident was widely seen as pure bad luck.
Holidaymakers enjoying the slopes gave their reactions and wished him well.
One man said: “It really makes you think seriously about buying a helmet. That such an accident could happen to a man like that. We’re all sad about it.”
Another added: “You can wear a helmet, and even airbags to protect you against avalanches, or transmitters to locate you under the snow, you can take all kinds of precautions, but there’s not such thing as zero risk!”
A third skier said he saw no need to leave the official skiing routes: “It seems he’s hovering between life and death. You have to be careful. I always wear my helmet and I don’t ski off-piste. There are plenty of marked trails here.”
The resort’s director, Olivier Simonin, said where Schumacher was skiing – though not an official trail – was not a particularly difficult area, but there could have been rocks hidden by an earlier snow fall.
Philippe Quincy, the local public prosecutor, told Reuters an inquiry had been launched on Sunday to identify the causes of the accident. Initial findings indicated the blow was so hard that Schumacher’s helmet had shattered.
“We know that the accident took place in an off-piste zone where rocks were partly or totally hidden by snow,” Quincy said, adding that Schumacher had likely been thrown off balance by one of them.
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 3Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar is confirmed dead
- 4Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 5Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Latest world news
Turkey: Three soldiers killed as anti-PKK airstrikes intensify
Cecil the lion: angry protesters gather outside Walter Palmer’s office
Migrants: UK is not a “safe haven” says Cameron
MH370: wreckage found on island ‘came from Boeing 777’
Memon: India executes plotter of 1993 Mumbai attacks
Wires > News
- 16:02 CET Rome’s Fiumicino – How unlucky can an airport be?
- 16:01 CET Indian Ocean debris almost certainly from a Boeing 777 – Malaysia
- 15:54 CET Erdogan taking Turkey to war to avenge Kurdish gains – opposition
- 15:40 CET After Russia’s U.N. veto, countries seek court for downed flight…
- 15:14 CET Afghan Taliban names a new leader, but peace talks delayed
- 15:12 CET Landslide near Nepal’s popular Annapurna trek route kills 30
- 15:00 CET German Social Democrats fret as ‘Mr Zig Zag’ stumbles
- 14:22 CET Tsipras seeks Greek ruling party members’ vote on bailout